Basic carb cleaning

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
picked up this leaf vac. flat head on it. Runs when i put ether to it. so i've pulled the tank, pulled all the foam from the tank and rinsed it a couple of times. going to pull the carb off the tank tonight.
can someone give me the basic what to look for when cleaning and any parts that may be gone i might not notice.

Just take it apart and clean well. On the left side is a cover held on by 4 screws. carefully remove, there is a rubber diaphragm and spring in there. replace them. That is the "fuel pump" biggest cause of flatheads not running.
read Jimmy Glenns article on Bobs. it has one section just for carbs.

Foam in the tank is a fun power style the jets at the bottom of the carb . Similar too the original except no long and short pickup tubes . Just a long casting with a pressed in jet .
Corrosion will likely be the culprit .

Sonic cleaner is the BEST way to clean,, and the prices have dropped to reasonable rates.... It can clean all sorts of things...
Also Vinegar diluted with water can clean the carbs very well..

Sonic cleaner is the BEST way to clean,, and the prices have dropped to reasonable rates.... It can clean all sorts of things...
Also Vinegar diluted with water can clean the carbs very well..
Key word is DILUTED. Vinegar (acetic acid) can eat aluminum.

^ Right, that's what I was thinking.
We used to use vinegar to dull the finish of cast aluminum.

Just pull it apart and clean it thoroughly. A can of brake clean and some light compressed air, then reassemble.
Def. replace the diaphragm (fuel pump.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Sonic cleaning gets dirt off parts that look clean. I use distilled water and a pH neutral cleaner like phAdvantage followed by a rinse in straight distilled water. I put the little parts in a cup in the cleaner so they don't get lost.

Sonic cleaning gets dirt off parts that look clean. I use distilled water and a pH neutral cleaner like phAdvantage followed by a rinse in straight distilled water. I put the little parts in a cup in the cleaner so they don't get lost.
A little strainer basket for the kitchen sink works great for the small parts

I have been readen that some are putting the parts and some solution in a zip lock bag. It keeps the tank solution clean.

Back