Bead breaker

vtdad28

How necessary is a bead breaker to have? Won’t be racing anytime soon, so probably won’t be changing as many tires as most of you but is it a necessary tool to have?

How necessary is a bead breaker to have? Won’t be racing anytime soon, so probably won’t be changing as many tires as most of you but is it a necessary tool to have?
A bead breaker and a tire ring is a must in my shop. I tend to buy gently used rims with or without tires on them. It helps save money. Sometimes you will buy a set of tires just for the rims. Up where we race it is almost always burris but I did have some old maxxis, Vegas, and if I remember correctly Dunlops that I gave to the local hockey rink to use for teaching the kids. Typically the good used tires you find will not be on rims. I tend to mount and dismount tires anywhere from 2-10 times a year(depending upon how many junk tires or rims I have)

made my first one with some plywood and a router. used wood clamps in place of the bottle jack. there are ways to get it done. there's a video on Facebook with a guy doing it with his thumbs was impressed.

Back