Bead Sealant

Kyle48

I found on here a few folks mention using bead sealant for 2nd or 3rd hand tires where there may be imperfections around the bead from mounting/unmounting. I am planning on giving this a shot for the first time here in the next few days. Could someone who has done this before outline their process using bead sealant? My normal mounting process is:
1. Place tire on rim
2. Put tire in a tire band
3. Spray rim with soapy water
4. Hook hands-free locking chuck with air hose #1 onto valve stem
5. Hide behind a concrete wall and connect air hose #1 to air hose #2 (connected to compressor)
6. Wait for the two pops and disconnect the two airlines

If I am using a sealant, should I no longer be using soapy water on the rim?

Thanks!

A simple bead of RTV on the bead of the rim has always worked for us, are you guys speaking of something different?

In a pinch, after mounting a tire, i find a little air leak between the rim and tire, ive put a little super glue in the affected area to seal it up

We used white lithium grease to help get the bead on and it will then dry sealing.

Not recommending using gas to clean off grease when mounting again but that's what we did.

You don't want to use anything which puts water into the tire because it's the water which expands when your tires heat increasing air pressure.

Back