Bearing Maintence

So i got 2 new rear bearings and I am new to karting and I have heard of bearing maintence and I plan to maintain my bears but I dont know how to clean a bearing like this. This may be a dumb question but I dont know what to do or how to do it.

Attachments

• IMG_2385.jpg
    IMG_2385.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 29
There brand new , nothing to do right now .
The way it's done is , you slip a pocket knife or something similar under the metal seal pry it out . Next carefully pull the rubber seal out . Wash out and lubricate . Replace the seal .

The way it's done is , you slip a pocket knife or something similar under the metal seal pry it out . Next carefully pull the rubber seal out . Wash out and lubricate . Replace the seal .
I should have clarified, I know that I dont need to do anything right now but thanks for the info on what to do in the future. I didnt know how to do that but now I do. Thanks

One last thing, what do i use to lubricate them, something like wd-40 or do i use bearing grease?

I pull the seal out of the bearings, use solvent and clean all of the grease out of the bearing. I fill the bearing with slick 50. You can pop the metal seal back in or leave it out. The front wheels I leave the seals out and the open end of the bearings facing the inside of the hub. I leave the seals out of the rear too, but they do collect a lot of dirt. After every race I use brake clean and clean the bearings out and refill with slick 50. I have noticed when I give the front wheels a spin by hand with the grease compared to oil they spin a lot freer and will spin a lot longer on their own. Less resistance equals more speed. When the bearing grease gets hot it probably spins just as free, but it makes me feel like I did something. Also the bearings last a lot longer. One of our karts I have ran the same front bearings for 2 years now and the rear bearings for 3 years. Before I was replacing bearings at least twice each season.

That's a million dollar question . I'm leaning towards white grease now . Tri flow is popular , oil is common , WD-40 really not much lubrication there .
I have used them all .
Like stated Slick 50 would work . As well .

Tri flow or Phantom sells a bearing oil that works great. I take mine and pull the seals off and drop them on carb cleaner that comes in the paint can. Then blow them dry and lubricate with oil.

first I get rid of the metal seal. I only use the plastic one. It makes it easier to clean at the track.
whenever I get new one's or weekly upkeep, I put the bearing's in a crockpot with simple green. I leave them for a couple of hour's on low. I found that this get's everything out of the bearing. Then I blow them out really good and let dry. I use a spray lube I get from work that's specially made for bearing's. I know everyone has their favorite lube,
Just dont use your wife's crockpot, it might cause problem's

Bearings that support radial and axial loads (which kart bearings do) were designed to use a grease to lubricate. You may think pulling all that grease out of them is making them roll better but under load they are not. Light oils like WD and such are almost useless in a bearing, especially a heavily loaded application like the rear axle of a kart or the RF spindle! Use a good, wheel bearing grease and lightly lube each bearing, pop seals back on and go. The grease will take the loads generated while racing and thin out but STAY in the bearing and lubricate where its needed.

Bearings that support radial and axial loads (which kart bearings do) were designed to use a grease to lubricate. You may think pulling all that grease out of them is making them roll better but under load they are not. Light oils like WD and such are almost useless in a bearing, especially a heavily loaded application like the rear axle of a kart or the RF spindle! Use a good, wheel bearing grease and lightly lube each bearing, pop seals back on and go. The grease will take the loads generated while racing and thin out but STAY in the bearing and lubricate where its needed.
Finally someone who understands radial and axial loading.

Back