Bearing to Cassette

IronHorse

How tight should the compression bolts be on axle bearing cassettes? I’m thinking that the bearings should be allowed to move to allow axle flex. 1999 Phantom Banshee, both the cart and myself are new old stock with half a season on asphalt.

I’m having trouble exiting the turns when going from banking to the flat part of the track at Langley Speedway in Hampton Virginia. I think this may be part of the problem.

Normally with both cassettes mounted to frame, you would leave left side bearing unpinned/unclamped and right side pinned/clamped on both sides of the bearing. this would allow the chassis to flex with the axle. When tight, do your bearing races move within the cassette? Bearing races are 8/10 a culprit for me when i have unpleasant axle movement on the stand if all other things above are checked. The other 2/10 is the bearing itself just having too much wear to stay solid.

Generally speaking they should be fairly stiff but still able to move if you put the axle in and jack it around.

The bolts should be tight enough that the bearing does not move side to side, but also is allowed to oscillate inside the cassette.

Interesting. The way I had tightened the single pinch bolt I could not move the axle when I tried to postition the second cassette. I think I will try 125 inch pounds and see what the movement it gives me.

Back