Bearings

jaymancds

A previous bearing thread got me thinking...

I have just picked up a '13 Charger Tyrant. It has sealed bearings up front. Is there any way to tell if they are ceramic or not?

Second question, My U-max has open bearings, but has "dust covers" that fit inside the hubs. A quick shot of your lubricant of choice and they are ready to go. Pending the bearings being the same style, can I take the seals out of the Charger bearings and do the same without the dust covers?

Magnet /rust . Ceramics are a grey / white color.
Im with Sundog .
Nothing protecting the bearings is a bad thing .
And yes I've ran open ball .
Open with the aluminum sheilds .
Tri flow or goose grease ain't gonna keep the grit out .

You have to have the dust covers on track or your bearings will get dust in them.
I have always put bearing in with no seals towards center of hub.
Remove hub, wash bearings out with cleaner, or flood with lubes of choice.
Blow out and relube. Put hub back on.

Quick and easy. Driver does this between heat and features while I am changing oil.

Seals may not be doing 100% job, or you would not need to take them out to lube or clean.

Last edited:
I have always put bearing in with no seals towards center of hub.
Remove hub, wash bearings out with cleaner, or flood with lubes of choice.
Blow out and relube. Put hub back on.

Quick and easy. Driver does this between heat and features while I am changing oil.

Seals may not be doing 100% job, or you would not need to take them out to lube or clean.
I flood mine with lube between races, and take them out and clean them at the end of each race night. I havent had any problems with them being overly gritty or dirty yet. With that said my track normally doesnt get too dusty, and all told heats and feature I'll run 25 laps a night.

I just ordered the dust covers from Charger, so we will see if they come in before the weekend. If not, I'll be doing the sealed route.

Back