Bearings

moneyruns

I was wondering what everyone is using as a lubrication for the bearings in the spindles and on the rear axle?

I have used all kinds of things. Just looking for something new to try that provides the lubrication and lets everything roll free.

Thanks

Clean after every race and use WD40............no pro just had a dream.............................

Nobody will listen to me, but LPS2 is a penetrating lubricant. On my 6 inch belt sander the bearings started to sing, I sprayed them with LPS2, with the seals on, and I never heard from the bearings again. I use to use that sander, on average, about 3 to 4 hours a day.

You can buy it at MSC.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

About any light lubrication oil works, like Tri-Flow, WD40, LPS2, Kroil, Fluid Film, etc. Take out the original seals, clean out the grease and spray them. Clean and relube after every race day.

Lots of people use Tri-Flo, but I found that Slick 50 also makes an aerosol Teflon lube for less than half the price. It even smells like Tri-Flo. It's called One Lube. I found mine at Ace Hardware. I actually mixed my own lube, a concoction of 2 quarts of 5W20 Synthetic motor oil and one bottle of ZMax, and cook my (cleaned) bearings in the mixture in a crock pot on low. So far, so good.

I use the used motor oil of my engine. After we race I put them in my ultra sonic machine. Seems to get them gunk out of them then I blow them out and I cook them in my wife's electric skillet that I stole from her kitchen. I didn't ask, lol, but she's not mad.

I've wondered about using WD40 or Marvel Mystery Oil. Just not sure that's enough for a lubricant.

Wd40 alone is not a lubricant, it is a cleaner and is made to remove water. You need an actual lubricant or penetrating oil for lube, I prefer tri flow myself, another thing I like is a can of stuff I bought at the local motorcycle shop, its a chain lube thats meant for bike chains, I use it on my chains but also found that it works very well for lubing the bearings, it also acts as a dirt repellant of some sort and keeps dirt out of the bearings when you use it for bearings, mine look like new everytime I pop the seals since I been using this stuff. I'll have to look tomorow and see what the name of it is, but id reccomend it to anyone for bearings, chains and everything else that needs lube. Only use the WD40 as a cleaner, WD40 stands for Water Displacement #40

About any light lubrication oil works, like Tri-Flow, WD40, LPS2, Kroil, Fluid Film, etc. Take out the original seals, clean out the grease and spray them. Clean and relube after every race day.

I should correct my post. I wouldn't recommend WD40 for your bearings. I use Tri-Flow and have been very happy with it for many years. You should use something with lubricating properties.

Al, I listened and I did buy a few cans of that LPS2, and it works as well as any other quality lube, maybe even better.
I should have known, it's like money growing on trees, the smart birds get it all. Thanks for the heads up Jack.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Back