bearings!!!!!!

j17

im kind of new to karting. im running at dagwgwood speedway dirttrack. i was just wondering whats the best thing to clean and lube your bearings your bearings with? do you use the same on the front and rear bearings?

I take off my front hubs before I wash the kart, then blow out both front and rear bearings with air, then spray with Tri-Flow. Every 2 weeks I will remove the bearing covers and clean out with brake cleaner, and lube with Tri-Flow. Hope this helps. Good luck with your racing!

thanks for the info. i was just needing some advice. ive had some people tell me that wd-40 is all they use. that just didnt seem like it had enough vescosity to it. like i said im new to it

sounds good. im getting ready for a big flatthead race coming up n feb. iwas running a 2 disk bully clutch in the flathead 375 lb. class now they said we could run an open clutch rule. any reconmendations to go to? running pinks an blues.

Your bully clutch should work well with the clone engine as long as it has been maintained well and the springs are set correctly. Martinbuilt on here has some of the best clutches and support that you could find.

sounds good. im getting ready for a big flatthead race coming up n feb. iwas running a 2 disk bully clutch in the flathead 375 lb. class now they said we could run an open clutch rule. any reconmendations to go to? running pinks an blues.

I also race at Dawgwood. Great track and very well run, you'll love it. All they mean with the open clutch rule is that the Box Stock Clone classes will no longer be limited to using drum clutches and will be able to use disc clutches, also. Your Bully will be fine.

As far as lubing your bearings, you may want to consider getting removable bearing shields for your rear bearings to make cleaning easy. Here is a link from a website that has them, as well as front hub covers, listed on the page.. http://www.georgebark.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=bearing+shield

To clean them you're going to have to pry off the factory shields. I wouldn't use WD-40 to lube your bearings as it's really not a lube. I know many people use it, but most say you shouldn't. It's really more of a solvent and very good at displacing water. After washing your kart it's a good idea to clean the bearings out with WD-40 to displace any water that may have gotten in your bearings, and then relube with something like Tri-flow or another bearing oil. I haven't always done this and learned that it doesn't take long at all to ruin a set of bearings.

I can't comment on ceramic bearings because I use steel bearings. Sorry I forgot to mention that above. I haven't heard that you use different lubes for ceramics, but I can't say for sure. I just use the regular Tri-Flow aerosol lubricant. Here is a link.. http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Tri-Flow_Superior_Aerosol_Lubricant.html They also make a product called Red Grease that may be even better on bearings, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm sure there are many other lubricants that will work well also.

Clean the bearings out with WD-40, then lube with Tri Flow, do this once a week. The idea Atwood posted at the top seems like a good idea too but id be hesitant to use brake cleaner on my bearings, just doesnt seem like a good idea to me. WD-40 is a great cleaner and does the job perfectly for me, i have been using the same bearings all year long on the front and back.

Back