Been off on tires lately

Bigd75

Lately we have been off on tires. We r on a good prep program but last couple of races tracks have been terrible. One track was what I call greasy sandy dry we got on old sets with straight goat which was what everybody said they were on well we got better but still sucked. The other track was rutted up and dry but had no grip whatsoever again I found myself on older tires goated up in the mid 30s because again everyone said that’s what they were on and again we sucked. My question is what would you be on with track conditions like this! I’m beating my head mainly because I am crew Cheif (Dad) and I feel like I’m letting my driver down because I don’t know what to do in this situation plus driver can’t tell me much as far as handling just when I’m right he’s fast and when I’m wrong he isn’t close. Kart to me last race just looked like it would not turn on entry and mid to exit like no side bite an 4 wheel slide, but I noticed some faster karts looked like they were real snappy on entry and would rotate real quick on entry

Rutted up and dry tell me ROUGH that could be part of it some karts & set-up just do not respond to rough conditions, BUT as far as just TIRES my experience with GOAT ( Harsh prep ) tires is once it goes to dry it's time to get off the Aggressive harsh prep tires as they will just slide lacking grip, I've found getting on tires with only medium base prep but more of it capped off with something for BITE only for those conditions works best.

Thanks for reply not to get off in another direction but in general order what changes in setup might u do at track to adapt to those conditions just saying u had tires close, which I’m pretty sure our problem is tires just asking, I thought to my self I should have give him more rear stagger maybe lower cross even though I didn’t have scales I thought about it later I should have moved a washer

We never change set up numbers just close up air pressure split and try to stay on right tires, If you do make a cross adjustment don't do only 1 washer move at least 2, even so with your explanation of how bad you were moving cross was not the answer, If you were right there and already on closed up air pressure split then YES you would remove some cross to fine tune for those conditions.

Another thing that I've found helpful is to have a pair of spacers and a second set of holes pre-drilled in the sides of your seat so that you can raise it straight up 1" at the track. This will gain sidebite as the weight transfers quicker and harder to the right side tires.

Another thing that I'll do when I see 4-wheel drift (aside from tires) is to move 5 or 10 pounds parallel across the kart from left side to right side. This will change your percentages (esp. left side) that will get your right side tires "in the track" more.

The other thing that Ken already hit on is air pressure split.
I can't tell you how many people have told me that they run the same split or air pressure all the time, or what the chassis mfg'er or their tire guy has told them to run. I don't care who you are, you have to be willing to try some things to accommodate changing track conditions. Go down on air, go down on split, do something that will get those right side tires to get into the track more.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thank for split idea I’ll try take, how about prep wise should I have been on just newer tires with lots of bite?

Your not going to go wrong with newer tires round cut If Burris for the dry conditions and yes they need bite, but without any Harsh Aggressive prep, what prep do you have that is closer a medium base prep. What tire are you on ?

We are on pink&blues, I’ll make a mental note of moving 5 to 10 lbs, I’ve just been totally clueless why we have not been fast, I always try to stay away from goat but since it’s been colder that’s what everyone been on but not work for us I’ll just get back on newer tires and forget what everybody else says

Make sure that you break the tires open (refinish them) if you're using goat/green too.
If they're sealed over, the prep will get greasy on the surface and not give you the grip you are needing.
Fresh tire with some plenty of internal and an aggressive outside prep will work without going to goat, BUT, if you are going to use goat, then you'll definitely need something (conditioner) with oil pulling through the tire from the inside.
I would start with 3 ounces of our Pink Panther internal in the rights, 2 in the lefts, and wipe them with a 50/50 mix of Pink Panther and Goat (although I'd prefer to use our Monster Bite) in your situation.

Lately we have been off on tires. We r on a good prep program but last couple of races tracks have been terrible. One track was what I call greasy sandy dry we got on old sets with straight goat which was what everybody said they were on well we got better but still sucked. The other track was rutted up and dry but had no grip whatsoever again I found myself on older tires goated up in the mid 30s because again everyone said that’s what they were on and again we sucked. My question is what would you be on with track conditions like this! I’m beating my head mainly because I am crew Cheif (Dad) and I feel like I’m letting my driver down because I don’t know what to do in this situation plus driver can’t tell me much as far as handling just when I’m right he’s fast and when I’m wrong he isn’t close. Kart to me last race just looked like it would not turn on entry and mid to exit like no side bite an 4 wheel slide, but I noticed some faster karts looked like they were real snappy on entry and would rotate real quick on entry

People were probably using goat on old HARD tires, because track was dry.
What tracks have you been on?
Give me a call if you would like to discuss in more detail.

Back