Beginner - can't figure out how to replace tires

patriot07

Bought a Carter 2505 kart for the kids for Christmas. It's in rough shape, rust everywhere but new predator 212 engine and drivetrain and brakes seem to be fine. Two of the tires hold no air and I pulled them off to replace them but can't figure out what to do. I had planned to just replace tires only, but eventually figured out they have 2-piece wheels that are pretty rusted out.

So, how do I get replacements for the drive wheel and the non-drive wheels that match? The non-drive wheels have a normal bearing through the wheel that's .625" ID and 3" wide, which I think I can probably find. But the drive wheel looks like this:

Would really appreciate any help I could get. This is just a kart for the backyard - not a racing unit or anything like that. Maybe down the road...but they're pretty young now :)

Attachments

• hub.jpg
    hub.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 48
  • tire-wheel.jpg
    tire-wheel.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for the input.

Yeah the front tires are tubeless, so I had already ordered new tires from mfg supply tube tires for the back and tubeless for the front. It was the only place I could find the same sizes. Once I realized the rims are split rims and are mostly rusted out on the inside, I think I'm pretty much stuck with replacing them. I can't even get the tire off the rim - I'm sure the cart is at least 10-15 years old and these are likely the original tires and rims, so I'll probably just replace them all.

So i found some tire/rim combos that seem like they will work for the 3 non-drive wheels, but I have no idea how to find a matching tire/wheel for the drive wheel, because it doesn't have a normal hub like the rest. Seems like I need to find wheels that have a hub that will match the non-drive size (5/8" by 3") and also has a rim that matches the bolt pattern on the drive wheel, assuming I can pull the hub out for that one. I might be looking for a unicorn...in that case I may just get tubes for the front and keep the existing rims, but they're in rough shape and I'd much prefer not to do that.

You may have to drill some new holes .
What is the diameter 8 " ?
I couldn't decipher 5/8" by 3 .
Or just clean up what you have and paint them .
Heat the tire bead up good with a small propane torch to remove .

5/8" is the bore/bushing diameter, 3" is the bushing length

Bolt pattern of the lugs is 4 bolts on 3" circle. The center opening for the bushing is 2.125".

Kids would not care about cleaned & painted wheels. I'm leaning that direction because I can't find anything that will fit...but I absolutely cannot get these old tires off. Can't get a call back from BMI. Can't seem to find mower wheels that will fit.

Cut them off at the bead with a sharp razor knife then go from there with a propane torch . Or ginder/ cutoff wheel . Or a good hot charcoal fire/ propane grill . They can be a fight .

Yes they would work , though there kinda iffy . They will get you started . A flatter turf tire would be better .
Harbour freight has a similar tire .
For the price no . 3.99-5. 99 at harbour freight .

I think the harbor freight solution is better and cheaper, and will work for all 4 wheels. For the 3 non-drive wheels, I'll use the hub on the wheel from harbor freight. For the drive wheel, I'll take the HF hub off and drill holes to match the existing hub. And $50 for all 4 wheels! I think the 13" wheels will look better, so I'm gonna go with that.

Only question mark is hub length - can't find any info online for that, but the threads on the axles are pretty long, which means I ought to be ok as long as it's anything between 2.5" and 3.5"

Dumb question - is there any reason that going to the 13" tires would be a problem? I assume it'll accelerate slower and have a bit more top-end speed and that's it? The factory tires were 11"

I called 3 or 4 times and left voicemails trying to get some help to understand what I needed.

The one you linked is a 3/4" bore - mine is 5/8". It also doesn't list bushing length. The hub pattern doesn't match mine for sure so I'd still be stuck drilling the drive wheel.

I did buy the seat rails on BMI, but the rest of the parts were easier to find and cheaper elsewhere. And their customer service seems to be lacking unless I just called on a bad week...

I called 3 or 4 times and left voicemails trying to get some help to understand what I needed.

The one you linked is a 3/4" bore - mine is 5/8". It also doesn't list bushing length. The hub pattern doesn't match mine for sure so I'd still be stuck drilling the drive wheel.

I did buy the seat rails on BMI, but the rest of the parts were easier to find and cheaper elsewhere. And their customer service seems to be lacking unless I just called on a bad week...
like I said, they will have everything you need
https://www.bmikarts.com/Wheel-Hub-...2-1316-Circle-Includes-58-Bearing_p_3173.html

So what are you suggesting? I buy the $40 wheels and $13 hub, and I'm still match-drilling the drive wheel? We'd be at $200 for parts versus $50 at harbor freight for what looks like the same thing to me...but maybe I'm just not understanding?

I got the harbor freight wheels today. Looks to be a great fit and $50 total, and they answered when I called and gave me status on parts and helped me figure out if the bushing was long enough. Cheaper, better, and faster than BMI Karts...

Niall honesty BMI is an online store . If you can imagine how many calls they get , starting with I need something that I don't know exactly what it is . Do you have it or can you tell me where too get it ?
Then comes you told me this fits my who-dicky but it won't work .
Glad you found what you needed at Harbour Freight .
I like hands on better when I'm looking for something that's not exactly going to be used as expected or designed .

Back