Beginner - can't figure out how to replace tires

So what are you suggesting? I buy the $40 wheels and $13 hub, and I'm still match-drilling the drive wheel? We'd be at $200 for parts versus $50 at harbor freight for what looks like the same thing to me...but maybe I'm just not understanding?
No I'm saying they have the parts to fix your stuff, the 4x2 13/16 is your pattern and they have wheels to fit it

I got the harbor freight wheels today. Looks to be a great fit and $50 total, and they answered when I called and gave me status on parts and helped me figure out if the bushing was long enough. Cheaper, better, and faster than BMI Karts...
10 bucks the garden kart wheels wont last for the abuse they will be put through

Niall honesty BMI is an online store . If you can imagine how many calls they get , starting with I need something that I don't know exactly what it is . Do you have it or can you tell me where too get it ?
Then comes you told me this fits my who-dicky but it won't work .
Glad you found what you needed at Harbour Freight .
I like hands on better when I'm looking for something that's not exactly going to be used as expected or designed .
I get that...but Harbor Frieght has all those same questions. They just didn't seem to have what I needed, or have any willingness to try to help me find something that might work. I've dealt with all manner of online stores before - some with great customer service and some with bad...but I've never dealt with one with none. Maybe covid-related. Who knows. At least I got what I needed at a good price.

No I'm saying they have the parts to fix your stuff, the 4x2 13/16 is your pattern and they have wheels to fit it
It is not my pattern. I have repeatedly stated that it around a 3" circle (a hair over - somewhere in the 3.1" range - not quite 3 1/8"). I'm a mechanical engineer - I can measure a bolt pattern.
10 bucks the garden kart wheels wont last for the abuse they will be put through
Honestly, I could buy 4 sets of the harbor freight wheels for the price of one set of the stuff at BMI that doesn't even fit. If they last a few years, that'll be more than enough. They look heavier duty than the stuff that was on there that's around 10-15 years old.

It is not my pattern. I have repeatedly stated that it around a 3" circle (a hair over - somewhere in the 3.1" range - not quite 3 1/8"). I'm a mechanical engineer - I can measure a bolt pattern.

Honestly, I could buy 4 sets of the harbor freight wheels for the price of one set of the stuff at BMI that doesn't even fit. If they last a few years, that'll be more than enough. They look heavier duty than the stuff that was on there that's around 10-15 years old.
the HF stuff wont last a week, those wheels you bought are also used on cheap racing kart stands and in no time the bushings are gone, they bend too easily, and can come apart.....
Those HF wheels are not designed to be put on a kart, they are for little wagons and such
How much is the safety of your children worth?
It has a max load limit of 300#, how much does the kart weigh with your kids in it? how many pounds of force will be applied while cornering?
Did you read the description or did you take the word of a non skilled phone person at HF that they would work?
"This pneumatic tire is the perfect replacement for wagons, hand trucks and yard trailers. "
And dont come at me with that engineer stuff, im a project manager for the 4th largest Commercial masonry company in the US, I deal with engineers on a daily basis, having that paper doesnt mean "smart".
image_8061.jpg

Last edited:
the HF stuff wont last a week, those wheels you bought are also used on cheap racing kart stands and in no time the bushings are gone, they bend too easily, and can come apart.....
Those HF wheels are not designed to be put on a kart, they are for little wagons and such
It has a max load limit of 300#, how much does the kart weigh with your kids in it? how many pounds of force will be applied while cornering?
Did you read the description or did you take the word of a non skilled phone person at HF that they would work?
"This pneumatic tire is the perfect replacement for wagons, hand trucks and yard trailers. "
And dont come at me with that engineer stuff, im a project manager for the 4th largest Commercial masonry company in the US, I deal with engineers on a daily basis, having that paper doesnt mean "smart".
View attachment 11356
I know you guys - program managers who think they know more than engineers because...well because engineers are generally obnoxious. Just because we're obnoxious doesn't make us wrong.

300 lbs load capacity - so 1,200 lbs total capability with all 4 wheels.

I can pick each end of the cart up by myself quite easily, so it can't weigh more than 200 lbs. My kids are 50 and 100 lbs, so 350 lbs total cart weight. Are you thinking they're gonna pull 4 G's in this cart with a predator 212 engine on flat ground in a sandy backyard?

Also, it's worth noting that generally, load capacities are calculated using assumptions about higher dynamic loads to certify them for the lighter static weight. So you can't take the 300 lbs load capacity and then directly compare it to a dynamic scenario anyway - engineers already built some assumptions into their analysis and/or testing to make the claim.

If they fail because they're cheap, chinese wheels/tires, then ok, that's a chance I'm willing to take. My kids will learn to work on a kart. But that's the only way I can see these failing. And if so, I'll buy another set for $50 and we'll get to have some fun fixing things together.

And still, I haven't seen anything else at BMI Karts that would have worked anyway. And heaven knows I haven't gotten a call back....

No play in that attachment at all. Looks like they lost the original bolt and replaced it with new hardware but got a washer too big so it just sits non-concentric on it. I can't see how it would be an issue, but I'm open to being persuaded otherwise.

I have it fully disassembled for painting now.

Attachments

• kart 2.jpg
    kart 2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 11
  • kart 3.jpg
    kart 3.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 11
  • kart 1.jpg
    kart 1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 11
change the sheet metal wheel bearings . get some real bearings ( 1 3/8 x 5/8 with a snap ring on the out side (600630) at BMI ) , at BMI try to get the same person each time , they are pretty good

change the sheet metal wheel bearings . get some real bearings ( 1 3/8 x 5/8 with a snap ring on the out side (600630) at BMI ) , at BMI try to get the same person each time , they are pretty good
That would be an upgrade .
As too the clutch bolt / washer . As long as it's not crushing the nose of the clutch and the drum spring free . A fender washer with the proper size hole .
My experience is that may come loose .

That would be an upgrade .
As too the clutch bolt / washer . As long as it's not crushing the nose of the clutch and the drum spring free . A fender washer with the proper size hole .
My experience is that may come loose .
How much torque does that need? I pulled up the predator diagram and it shows a lock washer and fender washer, so I'll grab a lock washer when I go to get hardware for everything else. But I'm not familiar with how that clutch operates so I'm open to whatever input you have on the right way to bolt it up

Tight is good enough . The crankshaft typically is too long or too short .
You just don't want the washer pressing on the clutch . You also don't want excessive end play . If too short a machine washer will typically fit inside the clutch hub , with the others on the outside .

View attachment 11356
Well, I'll be darned if you weren't 100% right. I put these on and they lasted exactly one test drive. Pulled them, paid the $200 for tires/wheels from BMI, and been good ever since. Only problem I had is the hub that I got from them didn't match up inboard/outboard for the brake drum to shoe interface, so I had to leave the existing hub and drill the drive wheel to match it. But they're clearly good quality stuff and have worked well so far. Kids are loving it. Sorry i was an a$$ about it - you were right and I was wrong, and I appreciate your input.

Back