Beginner Clone Question

Knight25

This may be a dumb question, but is there a way to look at a clone and tell if it is NKA or AKRA? I picked up a clone locally for what i feel was a good price. It's a Welch engine if that makes any difference.

The man i got it from said it was built this year, and I was told it had 3 races on it. He ran it for about 5-10 laps at a practice day i went to, and it sounded good. I guess my main concern is being legal, and it seems most tracks in my area will let you run either, but you must claim one or the other.

If you explain the situation to the tech man I'm sure he'll help you identify what you got, not bullet proof way but if it's raced south of the mason dixon line on maxxis tires, it's most likely NKA, North on Burris it's AKRA most likely.

Have someone pull the head to look for porting and degree the cam. NKA allows the cl4 cam but AKRA does not.

If you explain the situation to the tech man I'm sure he'll help you identify what you got, not bullet proof way but if it's raced south of the mason dixon line on maxxis tires, it's most likely NKA, North on Burris it's AKRA most likely.
It's south, but on burris tires lol. My two home tracks are Ashway and Godspeed.

I don't think you need to take the head off to tell if it's been ported, taking the carb off and using a flashlight should tell you that🤔

Good point. My bad. I have had so many heads off in the last three weeks trying to solve this seat problem that I wasn’t thinking straight. I have only had 50 plus heads in my hands lately lol

So, if it's ported, it's AKRA? I know it may be a dumb question, but i don't currently have either of the rulebooks for clones. I'm plenty well versed in how engines work and what does what, i just dont know the rules of the sanctioning bodies.

Welch mainly builds AKRA as that's what everyone in the area races
+ he's a big Burris Guy. he may have built a couple on NKA motors for Berrett Terry, Colby Horner or Cole Storie but I'd bet 9-1 its an AKRA

Back