Beginner Noob question about gears

Ratistiss

My sons prokart that we just got has a 64 F 64 L gear, do the F and the L mean anything? Also are gears universal? I know I need about 5 or 6 gears in the range around this one for our local tracks and the NCKS series that we will be running. Thanks for any help!

My sons prokart that we just got has a 64 F 64 L gear, do the F and the L mean anything? Also are gears universal? I know I need about 5 or 6 gears in the range around this one for our local tracks and the NCKS series that we will be running. Thanks for any help!
Gears are mostly universal, you most likely have a 64 tooth rear sprocket now. That prokart should have a standard 6 bolt gear hub on it. Just be sure when you are shopping for gears you are looking for 35 pitch gears and not 219. Depending on what tracks you plan to run with the NCKS you will most likely need a few different sized drivers for your clutch as well. The gearing will be very different for some of the tracks the NCKS runs. For example, Pomfret is an 1/8 mile and Londonderry is a 1/4 mile.

Back