Beginner questions

SteveB40

Very new to kart racing, we’ve went Racing last weekend that’s been our only visit.. my questions are concerning stagger, gearing. We’re runnign box stock with predator motor. Kart turned in great was pretty loose off.. we’re running a fairly small indoor track. 60’ straights is guess.. how much stagger is ideal. I had about and 1 1/4.. I have options to go more or less just not sure. There isn’t much practice time and the track isn’t in good shape in practice to be able to get much info. Gearing, A buddy had told me to run 13/65.. i ran a 14/63 as it’s what I have, but with that clutch it was to much for my boy to learn with so I’ve got a hub style clutch with a 10 tooth non-changeable gear... where should I start with that. Do I want to stay around the 5:1 ratio.. any help is wanted. Thanks

You need to give all pertinent info.
The people you race with either already know or don't so you won't be letting any secrets out.
A teen and a thirteen are miles apart Imho.
You would need a 50 tooth gear.
Best to get a 13

Last edited:
For a 5.00 ratio, wouldn't he need a 50 tooth rear gear for a 10 tooth clutch? Don't think they make one.
I'd say a Noram with a 13 tooth driver should be a good inexpensive starting point.

You need to give all pertinent info.
The people you race with either already know or don't so you won't be letting any secrets out.
A teen and a thirteen are miles apart Imho.
You would need a 100 tooth gear.
Best to get a 13

I’m not sure what info you need, I’ll do my best to answer...I would just go an order a new clutch but I’m not wanting to spend that kind of money to see if the boy likes it or not...I have the Noram 10 tooth hub, wanting to know if I should get as close to 5:1 or should I got another way... I’ve got a bully style clutch that is to much for him. It locks up(which it is supposed to do) but he’s not used to that part yet and has a hard time controlling it... is there a way to let it ease on to full engagement with burning it up...

Stagger 1 1/2 on front and back for bull rings...jmo

I would try 12/62-64

Since you said you was new to karting, it's a learning curve for sure, don't be afraid to try different things, take notes every time on what works and didn't work, I will say the key thing is setup and tires, what ever you and your boy do just remember to have fun at it, win or lose :)

Add weight to the levers or turn the spring adjusters back half turn.
Ten to 50 is five to on not sure you can get a fifty tooth.
Stagger what track what chassis
Under stand not spending money on new parts
Waste of entry fee. And bad set ups won't bring good results

Last edited:
you might try a 12 tooth cheap ebay clutch... $17 delivered and then a 60 rear or use your 14 driver and get a 70 rear

Very new to kart racing, we’ve went Racing last weekend that’s been our only visit.. my questions are concerning stagger, gearing. We’re runnign box stock with predator motor. Kart turned in great was pretty loose off.. we’re running a fairly small indoor track. 60’ straights is guess.. how much stagger is ideal. I had about and 1 1/4.. I have options to go more or less just not sure. There isn’t much practice time and the track isn’t in good shape in practice to be able to get much info. Gearing, A buddy had told me to run 13/65.. i ran a 14/63 as it’s what I have, but with that clutch it was to much for my boy to learn with so I’ve got a hub style clutch with a 10 tooth non-changeable gear... where should I start with that. Do I want to stay around the 5:1 ratio.. any help is wanted. Thanks
Before I worried about a gearing issue, I would fix the handling issue.
The rpm will change once you get the kart biting.
Type of chassis and current setup numbers?

Last edited:
I'm with Jamie, fix the loose off then worry about gearing after. Your loose off could be that you just need more cross in the kart, or could be too much air pressure, in my opinion

I don’t remember the numbers off the top my head, they are wrote down in the setup sheets... I do remember on the scales that turning to the right(counter steer) put more cross into it, but he is driving in and driving off without any counter steer.. we have a phantom chassis, and are running Burris s-11’s all around. 8” on rr and 6 “ everywhere else. The right rear is tucked in almost as far as it can go. Air pressures where 8 on left and 10 on rights. Thanks

I don’t remember the numbers off the top my head, they are wrote down in the setup sheets... I do remember on the scales that turning to the right(counter steer) put more cross into it, but he is driving in and driving off without any counter steer.. we have a phantom chassis, and are running Burris s-11’s all around. 8” on rr and 6 “ everywhere else. The right rear is tucked in almost as far as it can go. Air pressures where 8 on left and 10 on rights. Thanks

Gonna have to get on a 8 inch rf tire, you probably have several things going on coupled with bad chassis rake and the kart is sitting on the right front too long
How is the seat mounted and how much weight bolted to the seat and how high on the seat?

The seat is mounted on the sliders underneath it and as low as it can.. it’s as far forward as it can go.... the seat has roughly 15lbs bolted under it. We have to weigh 275 w/driver. Driver is 50lbs

Plenty of people here to help.xxx40 , Zach are correct need the 8 in on the RF.
Stick with a 14 maybe borrow a 13.
Under the seat may need to move that to the sides. Get more weight transfer that way.
Any other weight and where?

Ok.. I’ve got a 6” tire on a 7 or 8 “ rim would that work?? Also as far as weight. I’ve got a 5lb bolted on the chassis right behind the seat, Also have 3lb on the bar under the motor... also have 3lb on the bar right in front of left rear tire.. all the weigh is down low.. I don’t have many place to bolt weight up high... I don’t want to drill any extra holes in the seat right??

No, the 6" tire won't work on the RF, and yes, you can drill holes to mount weights on the seat if necessary to make weight and/or get the correct percentages.

First off you need to get both right sides to be 8" tires on 10" wheels, your left rear should be a 6" tire on an 8 1/4 or 8 1/2" wheel, and the left front should be a 5" tire on a 6 1/2" wheel. Just remember to have 10" wheels for the right side, and either 8.25 or 8.5" for the left rear, thats the important part.

Sounds like you may wanna step back and re-think things.
The seat is improperly mounted for a 50 lb driver, the bottom of the seat should be mounted no less than 1/2 above top of the rail, and the seat back at 8.5 inches off the axle.
Mounting the seat correctly save trouble down the line

Back