Belt Drive Systems

steve baker

Question for you Enduro guru's. Does the kart go faster with small diameter pulley's or large diameter pulley's comparing the same gear ratio ?

Reason's ? Mass, torque, belt wrap, tooth engagement, etc etc...........?

Thanks
Steve

It's the same as the gear ratio is a gear ratio threads that are always on here. No one can really explain why, but it does make a difference. I believe a larger front driver pulley is better on the top end of the straight away and the smaller driver is better at acceleration on the low end out of the corners.

I like the larger belt wrap idea where it is putting less stress on the belt. I recently read a Facebook post talking about this very thing where a Yamaha should be on a front driver 16t or larger for a laydown, (we normally run 14t to 16t), with a 20mm belt because the belt isn't meant to turn that much RPM and a the larger wrap doesn't create as much heat, and stress. Now if you go to the larger 30mm wide belt it can take more abuse.

In my animal sprint enduro I normally run a 26t and 27t front driver and rear gears in the lower 70's. But I use different drivers more for engine placement, because there isn't much room between the seat and clutch and the engine needs to sit in a certain spot. I also have at least 2 different belt sizes I have to pick from to use. I have to do the same thing with the Yamaha laydown, because of the pipe and clearance issues.

It depends. The technical difference is 'angular momentum'. To my simple mind given the same ratio a smaller driver needs less torque to rotate the axle - that's the faster acceleration. The cost of that is "running out of gear". You need to gear for the most time at the engines peak torque before reaching maximum rpm. Its a balance between track configuration and drafting opportunities.

I wonder if...
You ran well with a 26:68. What if you could afix a 13:34? Both are 2.615 ratios.
Would you get the same top speed & rpm with faster acceleration, no difference?
Math on paper is one thing and there is limitation to off the shelf parts, but... :unsure:

Back