Belt sander

Slickdog28

I’m wanting to know the best way to go about using a belt sander to refinish my tires. I will be putting them on the kart axle and doing it that way.

You could do it, I have seen it a couple of times at tracks. Get the wheel speed near 400 rpms, lubricate with something to keep them cool. Don't use a coarse sandpaper.

I’m wanting to know the best way to go about using a belt sander to refinish my tires. I will be putting them on the kart axle and doing it that way.
"Best" way would be to get a refinishing stand to turn the tire at a consistent and specific rpm.
On the kart, it's certainly more difficult to do, but can be done.

Plateau Finish Vega.jpg

Here is a close-up photo of our signature "plateau" finish. Multiple grits at different angles are used to achieve a finer RA finish.
This particular tire is a 220g finish.
The smaller the sander, the easier it is to work with, but takes longer to get the job done.
Keep the tire wet and moving at all times. Use light pressure with your sander and keep it moving as well (left to right and right to left to achieve the cross hatch pattern if you want.)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Start with a old tire . The angle you hold the grinder along with the pressure controls the speed .
It would be best if someone sprayed the tire while the other person runs the sander . Have done it alone though plenty .
Also might want to tie the kart too the stand . Also lubricate the bearings .

Start with a old tire . The angle you hold the grinder along with the pressure controls the speed .
It would be best if someone sprayed the tire while the other person runs the sander . Have done it alone though plenty .
Also might want to tie the kart too the stand . Also lubricate the bearings .
Use old take out bearings on the axle. You do not want to use the rear bearings you use on the track. Grinding/finishing tires on your chassis will put excessive wear on the rear bearings.

Back