Bent axle?

mtbikerbob

Looking for advise and ideas....

I recently purchased a runout gauge and was checking my axle for straightness. I took a measurement at each end and in the middle. One side varied .005, the other .004 and the middle .002. Visually you can't see this variation but it isn't perfectly straight either. Would you consider this bent, or at least bent enough to warrant straightening?

I wouldn't consider that bent. I would consider it "straight" as longs as it's below perceptible tire wobble while rotating...
Or, place it on a surface plate and roll (or billiard slate...) I'd like to find a local straightening service, myself....

Looking for advise and ideas....

I recently purchased a runout gauge and was checking my axle for straightness. I took a measurement at each end and in the middle. One side varied .005, the other .004 and the middle .002. Visually you can't see this variation but it isn't perfectly straight either. Would you consider this bent, or at least bent enough to warrant straightening?

I can't imagine how your measuring it? Are you checking it while it's in the kart? I think, meaning I'm not positive about it, it might be perfectly straight and your measuring wear in the bearings? ... as I said up front I can't think of how your accurately measuring to come up with those numbers. It's probably just me not seeing it. ... :(

Many things can go wrong when straightening an axle. I go for .005" or less so I think it's ok. If you're measuring with the axle on the kart you could easily be measuring the bearing slop. How did you intend on doing the straightening and how soft is the axle?

Sundog:cool:

Agreed ; your technique could be off that much or your equipment.
You know its bent when the wheel wobbles .

Good info....I was getting one side wobbling while on the stand, and assumed the axle must be bent a little. I used a runout gauge while on the kart. I marked the high and low spots on the axle and they were about 180* from each other. The amount of variation doesn't seem possible to make the wobble so maybe the hub is bent?

I would let someone else do the straightening.

Axle straightening located in Indianapolis Indiana Bill 317-491-8751 Starting at $ 30.00 plus shipping most axles, Been doing it for long time also straighten chassis and steering shafts Thanks

Axle straightening located in Indianapolis Indiana Bill 317-491-8751 Starting at $ 30.00 plus shipping most axles, Been doing it for long time also straighten chassis and steering shafts Thanks

Do you guys straighten out chassis the ol' fashion way? With one man jumping on a wheel and eye-balling it for straightness? Hahaha, JK. I have a chassis that is bent in the front too and would love to have someone near me who can straighten a chassis the right way, but I suppose I will have to resort to the ol' fashion way. :p

I have a 2500# steel plate table. Do it with lasers and height gauges been doing it for a long time. Bill 317-491-8751 Where you located?

Under .010 will not be noticeable while driving or show in performance. I've seen guys win oval races with axles almost bouncing but I wouldn't recommend it

If you have a bearing that has even .001 of play you need to replace it. It's crazy how important bearings are to a kart but yet people know so little about them.

I do remember straightening a bent axle back in Europe and drive 300 miles for a practice day, and 1st lap in the chicane I saw my rear left tire/wheel passing me with a piece of the axle. I sounds fun now but wasn't back then. lol.

I also have been straightening axles and chassis's for the last 10 years, .010 or less IMO is good to go and can get them a bit better than that. An axle breaking like Rainman mentioned is generally caused from set screw damage. When setting the screws always use the old divots and if your bent axle has quite a bit of divot damage it would be best to scrap it and get a new one. I like the SKF pinch bearings for that reason.

I also have been straightening axles and chassis's for the last 10 years, .010 or less IMO is good to go and can get them a bit better than that. An axle breaking like Rainman mentioned is generally caused from set screw damage. When setting the screws always use the old divots and if your bent axle has quite a bit of divot damage it would be best to scrap it and get a new one. I like the SKF pinch bearings for that reason.
Completely agree. That was what happened. Set screw area.

Back