Best 10.8 Valve Spring

I am looking around for valve spring and I have found red stripe and green stripe, they claim the red is heavy-duty. Which is a better spring?

It is a predator class and it just says I need 10.8 springs. I am running a non hemi with basically a stage 1 kit because we are aloud the different air filter and a header.

if its set up right i'd go with the red stripe, but know, if its not done right you will fail tech.. the springs will hold strength longer than the others.

if its set up right i'd go with the red stripe, but know, if its not done right you will fail tech.. the springs will hold strength longer than the others.
Ok. When I install them what would I do that would make them not be done right? I have never installed springs on a small motor before so I don't know exactly what is right or wrong.

Ok. When I install them what would I do that would make them not be done right? I have never installed springs on a small motor before so I don't know exactly what is right or wrong.
it is a bit of a detailed process and harder if you don't have all the proper tools.. it's a guessing game.. you'll need the 10.8 / 18# checking tool... or a similar tool to start. i think they are in the $300 range. Check with your local builder.

it is a bit of a detailed process and harder if you don't have all the proper tools.. it's a guessing game.. you'll need the 10.8 / 18# checking tool... or a similar tool to start. i think they are in the $300 range. Check with your local builder.
And why is that tool so expensive? Has anyone made and diy tools to replace it. Or are there possibly cheaper tools that are accurate but maybe not official?

And why is that tool so expensive? Has anyone made and diy tools to replace it. Or are there possibly cheaper tools that are accurate but maybe not official?
i'm looking into that.. its basically 2 chunks of steel with a hole in them of a designate weight and 2 rings the spring set in specified sizes and a pole of specified diameter. as a tech tool... it's important that its exactly right.. i haven't found one i can copy.

Like most things, the tighter the tolerances, the more expensive they are to produce.
Limited numbers also add to costs.

Then there is the question of anyone competing for that niche market.
Lots of pricing depends on if willing to pay that.

A rule change could obsolete the tool in the blink of an eye.
Then there is the problem of using a "close enough" tool to check a critical tech item. No need to check at all if close enough is acceptable.

The question should be, how can they afford to build it for that price.

Last edited:
Like most things, the tighter the tolerances, the more expensive they are to produce.

Then there is the problem of using a "close enough" tool to check a critical tech item. No need to check at all if close enough is acceptable.

All True .
Here I go in left field .
As too a rule change making it obsolete .
No way a diy person can justify a spring check kit .
How about Ditch the spring check .
Leave the stock rod , Its got to be close to its limits now.
Let the rod be the limiting factor .

I am an engine builder....we race at an indoor track (during the winter) that has just came up with a "homemade" valve spring checker, both weights and both heights. It looks real good and was made with a CNC machine. I told them that, if they have a big race, which they are getting ready to do, and you DQ someone with a "homemade" tool....you are just asking for trouble. I personally believe ALL Tech Tools should be Certified, as I forked out $300 for a Certified Jones Valve Spring Tool......among all the other Tech Tools needed, and there are A LOT of them!

it’s getting to the point where the DIY guy can’t afford to or even cares to do his own engines anymore...

agreed one company makes them and sells them to all that need so they alone are held accountable for the tool....

Back