Best 206 chassis

Yikes
The old saying that "Opinions are like belly buttons" and i've got one too.
Of course, if you make the steering shaft big enough and the hole through it small enough there is very little to worry about.
I'll leave it to the people that design the kart to decide if it's appropriate to do it this way and accept the liability associated with it.
I respect everyone's opinion and isn't that what Gary asked for?
Additionally, i would think that if you wanted to eliminate any play when you lock the steering wheel a bolt through the shaft with a nut on the opposite side would do the best job of locking everything tight, with no play.
:)

Why not a left side engine mount. I've seen prototypes of these (Benik I thin). It would get the chain/driveshaft farther from the driver and help balance the kart with less seat offset.

It was -10 in Indy last week. We take winters off here in the Midwest. You probably take summer off in Arizona when it's 115 lol.

Does anyone remember a kart called a shamrock from the late 90s I'd guess? It had a million adjustments and probably weighed 175. I remember seeing it in magazines back then. Never took off or had much success. Would love to see a pic if anyone has one.

There were lots of Shamrocks here
back in the day but I think it was a little ahead of it's time. I don't remember them as being fast. I don't think most people had any idea what to do with all of the adjustments.

We race 12 months a year......a tad warm in the summer but when the sun goes down it isn't an issue. Unfortunately gates open at 2 pm! But it is a DRY HEAT !!!

Dry heat my lol. You sweat as soon as you walk outside. It is weird that 85 in the evening feels really comfortable.

Anyone a magazine collector have one of those old national kart news mags they want to dig up and find that Shamrock kart? It was way ahead of its time on adjustability. They never made it over my way into Ohio. National kart news had a cool article back then where they listed all the different karts/specs with pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary,

Text me your cell number to (920)946-2348. A fellow kart racer of mine has a Shamrock kart chassis that was built by Brian Sheridan. He is out of office right now, but I will see if I can get some pictures of his kart for you and text them to you. Sorry, but I have yet to figure out how to post pictures on this website.

Interesting topic...Road America Kart Racer, Mark

I'm waiting for someone to make a rear engined kart again to get the motor out of the airflow for roadracing. Put it on a swing mount and add 2 rear discs and calipers on either side of the right swing mount bearing for RR safety. Instant reduction in front area, only drawback I see is higher Cg (add your seat weights lower to compensate) and muffler packaging issues (can be looked into...)

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.mikeclementsracing.com/Vintagekarts.html - shamrock (for sale ) on Mike Clement's page.

I have often wondered this as well, Gary.
I get that the sprint crowd doesn't live on scales and use laser aligners like we do on dirt ovals, (though I'm not entirely sure why not) but why don't more sprint chassis at least have a toe-lock to hold the steering geometry in place while you are working on the car (ie camber, toe, etc.)

All I have ever done is sprint racing and just speaking from my experience laser aligners and scales are as common in sprint racing as a Tachometer in the community we race in. I do wish I could lock the steering on our OTK kart instead of my son leaning over the back of the seat holding it steady while I'm adjusting tie rods.

Thanks Mike
Yes that works great!
When you forget to taKe the pin out of the "American style Lock" it makes it hard to get on the track.
Unfortunately, i did that to a customer that was renting a kart for the season. It only happened once. :(

Gary, You know we are in favor of a longer front end. It doesn't necessarily need to be a limo kart but the front pedals should have some fwd. adjustment to them. Paul Rice has a good setup with lots of adjustment on his Espionage for tall drivers. It worked great for my Mike who is the 6'4"incher you probably had in mind on your earlier posts>

Left side seat strut would be an adjustable piece, right side welded is good. Top quality rear cassettes that dont wear after a 1/2 season of racing and keeps the bearings from floating...with top quality hangers that provide vertical adjustment without individually drilled holes. Good clean slots work great. I see no need for the figure 8 holes in the rear.. Up or down on both sides for ride height with adjustment in between.

Steering lock, Something other than the thin brake rotor. . Possibly the vented aluminum from MCP. The Caliper mounted on the left rear hanger not cross bar. 40mm rear and 17 mm front. I prefer the pills or the Sniper adjusters.

Back