Best 35 chain gears for opens?

Looking to get a new set of 35 pitch rear gears for an open motor. Lots of skip tooth and trick stuff out there but I’ve been told none of it will hold up on anything more than clones. What’s the strongest out there?

Never used skip tooth on my 131 stroker Sudam or opens, and I never had any problem on 35 chain or sprockets though I use a jacjkshaft and a belt in the primary and that helps a lot. On my Wankel for asphalt considering I am not using a jackshaft and on asphalt sprint tracks it is subject to frequent acceleration/deceleration forces I use 428 chain and good sprockets from Chautauqua Machine (Great people and quality stuff). I also consider the Wankel even with similar power has more torque than the Sudam. If you have a big 4 stroke this could be even more important regarding chain and sprocket/gears. On the contrary smaller 2 stokes like 100 cc running higher rpms tend to be bad on small engine sprockets when running 219 chain with no jackshaft, especially on direct drive asphalt configuration.

Like Sundog said above would be hard not to trust the Horstmen been around forever.Chain like Flattop1 or Comet kart has another good one. Chuck.

Thanks for all the input guys. I forgot to mention this is for a 50-60 HP 2 smoker on a jackshaft.
On jackshaft and with that power as long as everything is lined and the chain in good shape and oiled you shouldn't have issues with most sprockets in the market. At least I don't.

i never had problems with any chain or rear sprockets on my stroke Sudam. Most of the times issues are related to alignment. Only time I had an issue it was caused by an axle that moved and caused the misalignment. Otherwise I can run the chain and the sprockets for as long as I want without issues.

My only thoughts are, with an open 4 stroke, chain whip becomes an issue.

I've never run gear guards, but always have run an old school chain guide.
Very seldom have had chain loss issues.

As far as alignment, sometimes it is necessary to loosen engine from mount to get alignment as close as possible. May need to slot holes in engine.
I like to set slack in chain how I will race it, then slip axle sprocket from each direction to where it gets tight, then center it. You may need to reset chain slack.

On one of my karts I actually modified the rear sprocket hub so it has enough play to act like a floating hub and since then it works even better. Just a little play. It works for me and I actually found out after one hub went wrong. Now big 4 strokes are bad on chain and sprockets, like the Wankel on asphalt. Torque makes a difference.

I normally run the gold on gold and have zero problems. It probably helps that we normally race dry dusty slick. However used a black I had in my box just to feel the safety of having a new chain for first outing and that didn’t work out for me. I got it up on the marbles and it picked up as I brought it back down I was greeted with a bang and eyes full of stars.
ED0ED3C2-DC55-4F59-8EB8-0B357D3A721E.jpeg
D079ECBA-923D-468C-81BB-AF86092B9AE2.jpeg
83A1FA1D-B2C7-4341-A13E-E787C7721F46.jpeg

Back