Best chain/clutch guard for LO206 sprint outboard clutch

• Thread starter Deleted member 21174
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21174

Wondering what folks think the best chain/clutch guard is for an LO206 sprint kart (cadet) with outboard clutch. Most of them are not wide enough to cover the chain when running outboard. JTP makes an aluminum guard that is 2.5" wide but it's aluminum and I don't know how strong it is.

I am using the Rocket Sprocket C4 cover (Steve made one that works well outboard). I like that it is fully enclosed and very heavy duty (and easy to put on/off). To get it to fit I need to offset the engine more than I like but it's definitely a very safe setup.

When you add the clutch cover they get pretty wide .
Inboard or out board should not add slot of width .

For a little added piece of mind, I always add some racecar plastic riveted to top of chain guard and let bend naturally down beside seat. I make it longer than the chain guard as well.

Not sure if it does anything, but keeps some of the chain oil from flying onto drivers suit.

Last edited:
I like how the Rocket Sprocket cover can be easily removed by taking off bolts on the top. The JEX guard (no longer made but I have one) goes one better and the bolts only have to be loosened. I also like the full coverage on the front. It's a little wider than I would like but it's really the best I have found so far and I think it protects junior drivers the best as well.

We had a Jex chain guard on our kid kart 206 and liked it.
We made a cover that dzused onto the standard chain guard for our champ karts where there was enough room between a small seat and the clutch to get an elbow (or arm restraints) in there.
Steve's chain guard is very nice, as is everything he makes.

Most adult sprint racers are more concerned with seat clearance, and for that matter, run a very narrow chain guard.
We install the PMI animal chain guard on all of our new LO206 engines, but as you mentioned, it barely covers the clutch when run in the outboard orientation.

10.jpeg

3.JPG

6.jpeg

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

The thin black sheet metal guards that come with a lot of 206 kits seems to have a tendency to crack (sometimes during a race - ugh). I have one that is cracked about halfway that is retired now. The PMI guard looks really nice and they also sell a Dzus arm guard as well. I really prefer running inboard - I'm not sure if there is a cadet chassis that makes this easier or if they are all basically the same width.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why run clutch outboard? More stress on crank that way, and if it's to clear cross-rail, just offset motor more? I'd drill and tap existing guard and use a button-head allen screw and washer to hold some HDPE plastic on there if I HAD to widen a chainguard.

There just isn't room unless the seat is offset so much the kart is uncomfortable to drive. I'm not sure if there are karts where inboard will fit better. It might though - I can take a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a heads up on chain guard. The wider chain guards many time interfere with the right side seat strut or rub up against the seat. You do not want any contact between seat and guard. Go narrow on the chain guard.

Back