Best clutch set up for stock predator

I'd have a Bully disc clutch if it's open clutch.
Any properly set-up disc clutch will help you on starts and restarts. After the clutch is locked up, it doesn't matter a whole lot which style clutch you are using, disc or drum.

FWIW, we sell fresh rebuilt Bully clutches for $200 set up for your engine/class and with your choice of driver for $200.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I run the Hilliard fury and a single disc vortex depending on where we are racing. I like the fury clutch for the money it works great and is very maintenance friendly.

The stinger should work good . Aside from the clatter .
What issue with the stinger ?
The rocket rim I never have used though thought it was a stinger with smc drum .
The hillard provided good service .

The stinger should work good . Aside from the clatter .
What issue with the stinger ?
The rocket rim I never have used though thought it was a stinger with smc drum .
The hillard provided good service .
just never felt like it had the right engagement could be something i did somewhere IDK

If you buy an over the counter Max Torque like for a yard kart at what rpm does it engage. Is it too low for a Box Stock Predator at the track?

If you buy an over the counter Max Torque like for a yard kart at what rpm does it engage. Is it too low for a Box Stock Predator at the track?
I think so. I've seen them engage just above an idle (2000-2200-ish.) Most Predator guys we've worked with are wanting their clutches to engage at 2800 or so (depending on their "box stock" rules.)
With that said, I know of guys who are happy running the cheap yard kart Max Torque clutch as is. MaxTorque offers a better performance clutch called the DragonSkin.
@Jim Donovan, what says you?

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

You can buy different max torque springs to raise the rpm engagement. I personally like the black spring for our slightly modified predators with max torque clutches.

I think some of the guys a running a across the counter Max Torque. Just wondering about the engagment.
I bought me a Stinger. Ran it Saturday. Jerks and chatter and snaps terrible until it engages. Got out this morning put blue springs on it and ran it down the road. Terrible until it engages. Some where around 2700 ro 2800 it pulls off then snaps and jerks until it engages.
Came back took it apart and put the orange springs it came with. It pulls off around 3000 rpm. Until you gas it and it locks up it does the same thing. I just can't believe it is supposed to be like this. I don't see how they could sell the clutch if all of them are like this. I may send it off and have it bluprinted and see if it helps. Everything g looks good to me. I may go buy a cheap Max Torque and try it.

To save the keyway use no end play , with the chamfer washer .
Is the hub set up like this , for in board mounting ?
Screenshot_20221222-190242.png

Yes I have the chamfered washer with the chamfer to the chamfer on the crank. It came set up for inboard a d I didn't change that. It is set up right.
I went back out today and took it apart. I sanded the shoes and drum with 120 grit. I put brake cleaner on a rag and wiped everything. This is with the orange springs. I tie wrapped the brakepedal to where the brake was on. Started the motor and easier the accelerator up until the wheel started to pull. It was right at 3000. It didn't do any jerking on the stand but I didn't have a load on it. I can't believe sanding the drum and cleaning it with brake cleaner fixed it. When it warms up I am going to try it.

Question : on the stamped steel drum .
Does the drum apper to be round ?
when it on the bench upside down is the gap even all the way around ?

Back