Best Clutch

Packman88

What is everyone's go to for a drum clutch? We are running a predator class that requires a " drum clutch ". Just curious if there are sny out there that have changeable drivers, or if there is a recommended one!

Thanks !

I've used hillard and even with proper maintenance I found them to be inconsistent. I switched to the Mongrel made by ARC. A very dependable clutch that will lock up consistently.

If I was going to buy a drum clutch, my 1st priority would be "dependability"! Within that priority, I would look for ease of adjustment, consistency of engagement and then throw in; can I change the driver gear.

I like the Hilliard with Bully conversion drum.
We sell more of that clutch through our shop than all other drum clutches combined.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
What’s the advantage or the bully conversion kit? I currently have a flame I believe and a lot of fast guys here in my area run that conversion. I’m still new to this stuff and don’t understand much. But the problem I’m having is I’ve been fairly fast so my advice I use to get is getting slim to none around here lol.

Yes that tends to happen .
No real advantage except the fact just about everyone has bully drivers or bully style drivers .
If you travel a lot or change drivers often then they are avalible .
Where the hillard are not as readily avalible especially at the track .

Yes that tends to happen .
No real advantage except the fact just about everyone has bully drivers or bully style drivers .
If you travel a lot or change drivers often then they are avalible .
Where the hillard are not as readily avalible especially at the track .
So there’s no real performance advantage just the availability and ease of making a driver change is that what I’m understanding?

Thats my veiw . Its not any easier same as the hillard driver .
Maybe a spacer / thrust bearing difference .

So there’s no real performance advantage just the availability and ease of making a driver change is that what I’m understanding?
Replaceable drivers seem to be working out, from what I've heard. Apparently they're cheaper than a drum without replaceable driver. My choice would be not only dependability, but ease of adjustment. The clutch needs to hold the engine at peak torque when slipping. That's a given. Very important.

What’s the advantage or the bully conversion kit? I currently have a flame I believe and a lot of fast guys here in my area run that conversion. I’m still new to this stuff and don’t understand much. But the problem I’m having is I’ve been fairly fast so my advice I use to get is getting slim to none around here lol.

I think others have answered adequately. No performance advantage.
You can change your Flame or Fury (whichever you have) over to accept Bully drivers by getting the conversion kit.
The advantage is for guys that already have Bully drivers and at track availability of Bully drivers over Hilliard's.

I want try out the NORAM GE Ultimate Clutch I think you can use bully gears
,,,, c
go-kart-clutch-noram-ge-ultimate.jpg
an anyone comment

we run one on our purple plate clone, nothing but good to say about it. Yes the bully drivers will fit it and with the springs available it’s plenty tunable for whatever you need it for.

What is everyone's go to for a drum clutch? We are running a predator class that requires a " drum clutch ". Just curious if there are sny out there that have changeable drivers, or if there is a recommended one!

Thanks !
Reliability and ease of stall adjustment would be at the top of my list. The fact that you can change the driver might be appealing, but you can change the drum almost as easily. Look at it this way; in the 4.0 range plus/minus, one tooth on the clutch is equal to 4 teeth on the axle. In other words,an 8 tooth spread. What track conditions could justify that wide a spread?

^ A hard fast "bite up" momentum dirt track. And especially in the junior classes. It's not uncommon to need to jump up 1 tooth on the driver.
I'll leave the arguing of choosing 1 tooth on the driver over 4 teeth on the rear gear to someone else. I'm a bit "spent" on the subject on here.

Back