Best drum/shoe clutch for clone?

DJ_Shuman62

What's the best clutch for a clone? I seem to always get killed on starts and have used 3 diffrent clutches thus far.

My personal preference is the stinger. I know there is other guys that run others but we have had excellent success with the stinger. Now that is for the Box Stock class. If you are going to run the pro class you may get many different answers including on how much you want to spend.

Another vote for hilliard, hard to beat them when you need a drum clutch! I use a fury but have been wanting to try the flame since they are more easily tuneable. Also, if your getting killed on the starts and restarts, and have tried several clutches, you may want to check into what rpm your clutch is engaging at and get it set to where it engagest at peak torque or as close to peak as possible. That could very well be your problem, and not the clutch/s at all.

Get with Ryan Thompson of Holeshot Clutches. He has the clutch you The Blueprinted set up hillard flame is prob best shoe / drum clutch out. Great price buying through him also

Listen to him; Weddle-Racing,
I’ll bet there isn’t but a smidgen difference between all the drum clutches on the starts. If the clutch is holding the engine at peak torque, (or not) the power it is absorbing is transferred, thru the chain, to the rear axle. Torque X RPM / 5252.1 = HP.
So the key is to get, what I call the stall RPM, up to the engines peak torque RPM.
Put a bathroom scale between the front of your kart and a strong wall. Write down what reading you get on the scale, and the RPM, at full throttle. Adjust the clutch a little and try again. Maybe higher first, then lower. The clutch setting where you get the highest scale reading is where you want the clutch stall set on the starts. You don’t have to hold it for a long time, you don’t want to burn up the clutch.
Comments, compliments, criticisms and questions always welcome.

You might also want to play with the mixture on the low end. Try richer, then leaner, and see what happens. A lean mixture can hurt you on the starts.

Listen to him; Weddle-Racing,
I’ll bet there isn’t but a smidgen difference between all the drum clutches on the starts. If the clutch is holding the engine at peak torque, (or not) the power it is absorbing is transferred, thru the chain, to the rear axle. Torque X RPM / 5252.1 = HP.
So the key is to get, what I call the stall RPM, up to the engines peak torque RPM.
Put a bathroom scale between the front of your kart and a strong wall. Write down what reading you get on the scale, and the RPM, at full throttle. Adjust the clutch a little and try again. Maybe higher first, then lower. The clutch setting where you get the highest scale reading is where you want the clutch stall set on the starts. You don’t have to hold it for a long time, you don’t want to burn up the clutch.
'Yes' and 'No' AL...."Tune-Ability" is the keyword here!

If the clutch is set up right, you shouldnt be able to tell much difference at all between a disc or shoe clutch, except a disc clutch disperses the heat a little better and doesnt need as much maintenance

Back