Best LO206 oil

Getting my first (used) LO206 kart. (vlr emerald) - Just wondering what is the best oil to use on a lo206 engine. I have seen posts on the internet about using this and not using that and definitely not using this.... Thought I'd ask actual lo206 kart owners what they think and KNOW. - Thank you!

Getting my first (used) LO206 kart. (vlr emerald) - Just wondering what is the best oil to use on a lo206 engine. I have seen posts on the internet about using this and not using that and definitely not using this.... Thought I'd ask actual lo206 kart owners what they think and KNOW. - Thank you!
Use what is readily available to you.
As you have probably already learned, some oils do not play well together. PAO & PAG base stocks repel and can cause catastrophic damage.
If you know 100% certain what was run in the engine previously, you might do well to stick with that. If not, then flush the crankcase thoroughly (you can search this forum to find a variety of methods and preferences for that) before changing to a different oil.
I really like the Briggs 4T oil, but any good quality oil will suffice -- they key is to keep the oil clean and fresh in the engine. Aside from a magnetic oil drain plug, you have no filter on these engines to pull metal or contaminates out of the crankcase.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I typically run 4T and intend to going forward, but just bought a used motor that has been running the blue stuff from Comet - is this an example of potentially incompatible oils that need a crankcase flush when switching?

I typically run 4T and intend to going forward, but just bought a used motor that has been running the blue stuff from Comet - is this an example of potentially incompatible oils that need a crankcase flush when switching?
Blue comet and 4T are compatible. No issues switching there. Just know you will still get blue hand for about 3-4 more oil changes! 😉

Use what is readily available to you.
As you have probably already learned, some oils do not play well together. PAO & PAG base stocks repel and can cause catastrophic damage.
If you know 100% certain what was run in the engine previously, you might do well to stick with that. If not, then flush the crankcase thoroughly (you can search this forum to find a variety of methods and preferences for that) before changing to a different oil.
I really like the Briggs 4T oil, but any good quality oil will suffice -- they key is to keep the oil clean and fresh in the engine. Aside from a magnetic oil drain plug, you have no filter on these engines to pull metal or contaminates out of the crankcase.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Thank you for the info, yes I should be able to talk to the prevoius owner and ask what he has always used.

Back