Best new(er) chassis for flex

Hobby87

We mostly run on a very wet/heavy 1/6th dirt track (we go through tearoffs) and looking for something that can transfer weight well. Driver is 85 lbs and current kart (06 Phenom) just doesn't seem to work well enough. Opinions on new or newer chassis out there that work well in this condition? Was leaning towards a thin tube Scythe.

Thanks, Matt

We mostly run on a very wet/heavy 1/6th dirt track (we go through tearoffs) and looking for something that can transfer weight well. Driver is 85 lbs and current kart (06 Phenom) just doesn't seem to work well enough. Opinions on new or newer chassis out there that work well in this condition? Was leaning towards a thin tube Scythe.

Thanks, Matt
My choice would be find a new track. I know that isnt the answer you want but as a racer with the money you all have invested if I was you I would load up and go to another track.

If the Phenom isn't working, I sure wouldn't go newer, I'd go older. I'd be looking for something In the late 90's early 2000's era. Small tube or even some of the big tube chassis. But, a Stalker or something similar should suffice.

Track running slicks or treads?

Triton Jr or Minecon could work well. Charger Cadet as well. You can make ANY car work, some will just take more effort to get there. There's no reason that your current car can't work - I'm not sure what problems you are having with it.
Needing tear-offs with a kart beyond the first set or two of hot laps is an anomaly for sure. I don't mind moist tracks, but throwing mud during the race is not necessary in karts.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thanks, Matt
What is your current set up with the phenom including cambers, which tires and prep ?

Definitely be on a triton jr or a ultramax blaze octane. Both will get it done on tracks just like that.

track in located in the high desert ( Wheel2Wheel Raceway, Victorville CA). I'd call in more of a sandy clay than anything. It's set up for speedway bikes and stay tacky/wet all night. My driver is 80lbs and the kart enters well, but seems to come off the corners loose, like it lacks forward bite, grip or side bite in the RR. It seems lazy in transfering the LS to the RS, or doesn't at all. Seat is mounted hight and toward the engine best I can. Cross is anywhere between 52-57%, left side is 53% and nose is 47%. We are running a Duro treaded tire, punches around 50-60 depending on the temp/sun. No prep allowed. you can youtube it for an idea of conditions, size,etc..

I agree, I would typically hesitate to go to a newer chassis, but think there are few options that are soft enough. Alot of guys run the older, mid steel chassis or euro that flexes more, but personally I want something I can run all over the west coast and be competitive as well.

Back