Best oil for open 4 cycle

Since I been out of racing for so long I may be out of date but I ran fhs in the Kohler robo mule but I went synthetic with fhs cyclone heavy

We run Schaeffer’s 5w-20. They were a huge help on the oil side. Don Sullivan was the dealer we buy it through. Look him up on Facebook. Was a big help and very knowledgeable

Hard to beat Briggs/Amsoil 4T or FHS62R.
I absolutely hate the rest of FHS oil line-up, but 62R is the real deal when it comes to opens.
Since we started handling the Briggs 4T, I've slowly converted most all of our open customers over to that. Very good quality oil, and it shows at rebuild time.

In regards to 20W50 oils.....Not in a splasher style oiling system!
This oil is simply too thick to get where it needs to, especially in the top of the engine - ie valve guides!
A 0-20W or 5-20W would be considerably better if you like those popular brands -- they offer it.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I like the FHS 62R also. That’s all that goes in my open. I do run 84P5 in my limited and Hurricane medium in a JR2 engine and have had a good experience. Years ago (early 1990’s), I mixed FHS 84P5 and Lightning Modified 50/50 for stock appearing engines. Never had an issue with FHS oils.

I kinda feel like im starting kart over again.lol i never thought id buy a 4cycle open motor but did.just trying get a good idea about what to use and make the engine live.

Whats best oil to run in these motors.i been running thor heavy in animal stroker.motor builder told me blue power but i cant seem to find no blue power anywhere.maybe i misunderstood him on phone.
It's Cool Power and they make two different kinds, Cool Power Green and Cool Power Gold. I prefer Gold because it has Castor Oil in it and can't go wrong with castor oil. In light, medium, heavy weight oils.

Last edited:
Lol well i wont be doing that.engines cost too much..im going work on getting thru the corners alittle better this yr
At least with the 62R you have options. Just change often, air out the old stuff, filter and reuse (in a lesser engine). I'm all for environmental friendly recycle options of course.

Interesting, mine is not. It came from Dyno. It has a bit of red to it but not like Marvel.
I will have to check but I am pretty sure my is. It reminds me of marvel mystery oil and its thick but they feel like a different texture or something. IDK how to explain it.

I have FHS62R which isnt red, it tends to be more of a golden color but I am sure I have bought it in more of a reddish color before. The only red oil we have is Thor,

Klotz Super Techniplate is kind of red. I still use it. Anyway color means nothing. Any oil, tire prep, clutch fluid, etc can be easily altered to change color.

FYI - AMSOIL recommends the Dominator 5w-20 if a lighter version of 4t is desired (I'm a dealer and already asked the question)

Back in the day we ran Klotz KL200 and thinned it down a tad with cool power gold or pure power....

I'm not really sure if KL200 is still available... I know the KL100 is or was recently, as well as R50, but I want to say I couldn't find KL200.

I can't say how that would compare too currently available oils, but back in the day it worked far better than anything else we tried... It was hard to beat castor based oils with the fuels we played with constantly, having something that properly mixed with the fuel washdown during warmup and whatnot was essential.

Change the oil everytime you come in the pits, even if you were only out 10 laps.... It's cheap insurance compared to replacement parts and machine work.

A quick Google flog reveals the Klotz KL200 regular techniplate is in fact still available.

Last edited:
Back