best price on scales

If you need a spreadsheet, and you have Excel Or Open Office, I have a spreadsheet for corner weights. It is not a simple spreadsheet! I have a set of utilities for karting called Nine Sheets that includes one called Corner Weights. Email anunley@austin.rr.com for your free copy.

Those scales look nice, but regular bathroom scales could probably do as well. And if they are the spring type, they don't need batteries. Your biggest problem, with any scale, is they have to be set on a flat surface. If you set them on concrete, put the kart on the scales, check the readings, then turn the kart 180 degrees and see if the scales read the same at each corner. Mark the spots where you place the scales and marked the scales to match the spot.

To ensure repeatability, you find a weight of approximately 50 pounds, verify it on a knowing good balance scale, and test your scales before every session. Scales will change with a temperature change. Springs and strain gauges, (digital) both change with temperature.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Well Al, it was a simple spreadsheet to me but being an engineer I might have had an advantage:)
I concede to the superior intellect. I must remember that all people are not as mentally challenged as me.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Could you use two scales in the front and then switch it to the rear to get accurate weight?

If you keep the kart level while split weighing, it can be done FAIRLY accurately. The biggest thing with that method is trying to really get precise readings on cross and percentages. Getting within one percent should be OK, but a lot of karters like to get down into the tenths of a percent.

Back