Best Races Without Winning

jaymancds

So last night was an interesting one. There were 16 in my class, I started 6th of 8 in the second heat. I had run up to 3rd, made a mistake, spun and got hung on the berm. So went tailback, screwed up the restart and ended up finishing 8th.

Ran a b main for the first time ever. Started dead last, 8th of 8. Drove to second, kart was driving great.

Lined up 10th for the feature, drove up to 4th, had the speed but not the gear to go further than that.

Overall last night I passed 15 karts at one time or another, and had the best handling kart I've ever had. It was a solid night.

So what are some of ya'lls stories from some of the best race nights that you didn't come away with the feature win?

Went to Syracuse Indoor karting championship a couple of years ago. Finished 2nd in first heat and 1st in second heat. Started on the pole, lead most of the feature until I got too tired. wound up 4th. Not bad for an old man.

Followed that with Motorama indoor. I was running away with the feature when a caution came out. When i took my foot of the gas pedal it fell off. Terrible! Just Terrible i tell ya!

Went to Syracuse Indoor karting championship a couple of years ago. Finished 2nd in first heat and 1st in second heat. Started on the pole, lead most of the feature until I got too tired. wound up 4th. Not bad for an old man.

Followed that with Motorama indoor. I was running away with the feature when a caution came out. When i took my foot of the gas pedal it fell off. Terrible! Just Terrible i tell ya!
A guy at my local track had a similar issue last year, he ended up running something like half of the race running the throttle with his right arm over on the throttle and the left on the wheel.

A guy at my local track had a similar issue last year, he ended up running something like half of the race running the throttle with his right arm over on the throttle and the left on the wheel.
Thought about that for an instant. Then decided it was not possible. Too fast and too many G's in the turns to try one handing it. Hard enough with 2 hands.
That gas pedal got drilled and a cotter pin in it now.

My 8 year old son had his first official race @ Plymouth yesterday, he led a lap, held his own, and made friends with the kid who beat him. They were even still friends after the race lol. He finished second in his first feature ever, and earned every bit of it. One of the best days at a racetrack in my life, and ive been everywhere man lol.

My 8 year old son had his first official race @ Plymouth yesterday, he led a lap, held his own, and made friends with the kid who beat him. They were even still friends after the race lol. He finished second in his first feature ever, and earned every bit of it. One of the best days at a racetrack in my life, and ive been everywhere man lol.
I always think its cool to watch the kids. Play around together all day, go race the pants off each other, then go play some more. If only the adults got that idea :ROFLMAO:

My son started pole in the first heat at cridersville. Had a half a lap on the rest of the field then the throttle cable came out of the clevis so we had a dnf. Then second heat passed he passed the whole field for the win. Got back to the pits and the exhaust bolts all came loose not to mention the motor mount. Tightened everything up and started second in the feature. He was leading by 5 kart lengths then the tires went away causing him to spin out several times and still finished second overall. It was all in all a good day he got his first win ever even if it was only a heat race.

A buddy of mine got me started in kart racing . He was fast and won many races and was one of the guys to beat . He told me that if I would ever out run him , he would retire . Been missing racing against him these past 3 years , lol
Good thing is , he is my best friend , and he now has a grandson that is getting into the sport in a Mini Wedge , which is bringing him back out of retirement also . Maybe I will try to let him win some races , Not !
Main thing is , to build friendships and have fun !

The kids don't usually carry a grudge off the track. Like you said. When the race is over they're playing together. Once they become teenagers that usually changes.
Both of what you guys said, described yesterday to a T. Also, I took him there to learn, and it was me who ended up getting the lesson lol. Just the way these two handled themselves was really special, not to mention some great racing. I will keep that in mind as he gets older, thank you.

Back