Best Tires for HARD track surfaces

We run out here in CO and the track we run on is HARD as rock dirt. It's prepped pretty nicely but definitely dry slick all night long. Ran the HT3's this year and they did well but we aren't allowed to tire prep so what's the softest tire out there to run on?

Don’t think you’re gonna want a softer tire for a hard surface. Possibly re surface after every race to get a fresh layer of rubber.

I’m not experienced on super hard tracks but I do know the softer tires that we run do not work well and wear horribly on hard tracks. Maybe try a blue Vega. It is a hard tire. The older maxxis all blues are good for hard surfaces but kinda hard to find especially unprepped.

Vega would be my choice a harder set of yellows say punching in the 50s or blues if you could get the heat in them.

How hard it is does not determine tire, it's amount of grip available, we run a track here Friday night's that's brick hard but stays moist slicked over low grip and it's 11s prepped aggressive, only way to figure out best is trying them, usually hard dry slick maxxis pinks work well.

Vega would be my choice a harder set of yellows say punching in the 50s or blues if you could get the heat in them.
I agree with this. I've ran Yellow Vega's that had hardened up a bit from new on dry slick tracks and had some success. I did have some prep on them though. I was always under the impression that you wanted a tire with natural rubber for these conditions but if Maxxis is working then maybe that isn't the case.

I'm jealous, I wish we had slick tracks more often around here.

If IMI has finally jumped on the wagon to run I'd get in touch with Freezeman on here. He might've raced it back in the day and have some tips.
If you're running I-76 that's tough to tell figuring you're running on a track that's built for full sized stock cars....try the hard compounds mentioned above. You can always soften them up. I know you guys are trying to build up there so no one will have the right answers. Experiment and something will eventually work.

If IMI has finally jumped on the wagon to run I'd get in touch with Freezeman on here. He might've raced it back in the day and have some tips.
If you're running I-76 that's tough to tell figuring you're running on a track that's built for full sized stock cars....try the hard compounds mentioned above. You can always soften them up. I know you guys are trying to build up there so no one will have the right answers. Experiment and something will eventually work.
Yeah we are racing at IMI, it's been a whole lot of trial and error since nobody has raced karts on the flat track in years. Just trying to see what others have experienced with similar situations. It's been fun to say the least and growing each year we do it, now going into our 3rd for 2020. I'll probably get a couple of different sets and see what happens, all we can do really. Thanks!

Yeah we are racing at IMI, it's been a whole lot of trial and error since nobody has raced karts on the flat track in years. Just trying to see what others have experienced with similar situations. It's been fun to say the least and growing each year we do it, now going into our 3rd for 2020. I'll probably get a couple of different sets and see what happens, all we can do really. Thanks!

PM Sent bud

Don't be afraid to try a Hoosier on tracks like that as well -- If the Pinks (prepped) are working, then Hoosiers will roll well.
Otherwise, Vega Yellows are tough to beat on hard slick no-bite tracks.

You say there is a no-prep rule? How are they enforcing that? Just no prepping at the track, or ???
What's to keep guys from internal prepping (or external for that matter) at home before going to the track?

If you need anything, feel free to give us a call.
We work with all brands of tires.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

You say there is a no-prep rule? How are they enforcing that? Just no prepping at the track, or ???
What's to keep guys from internal prepping (or external for that matter) at home before going to the track?
The last couple years a group has been trying to gain interest of dirt oval in a Sprint dominant area so they're in the beginning stages of working on things. They did hammer down on an adult clone class finally so they have that taken care of but are working towards weight rules and tire rules. As for now it's just "trust" that they're obeying by the rules.

Don't be afraid to try a Hoosier on tracks like that as well -- If the Pinks (prepped) are working, then Hoosiers will roll well.
Otherwise, Vega Yellows are tough to beat on hard slick no-bite tracks.

If you need anything, feel free to give us a call.
We work with all brands of tires.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Thanks, I've been looking at the Hoosiers as well but might have to invest in set of a couple brands to see what works best. Lot of interest in the Yellow Vegas too. Like Mac said, it's more of just a "trust" at this point, we are pretty small group at this point and we all are just trying to keep it low cost. We are growing each year and the interest is there, just merely trying to get it off the ground cause this type of racing hasn't been done in the Denver area for years. Most of us just merely don't want to spend the money to tire prep and the work that goes into that on a weekly basis. So no there's no real way to enforce it but as we grow we may have means of allowing tire prep. I'd definitely be interested in getting in touch with you in the future here about getting some tires though.

The track I go to has a spec tire.Random punch test discourage cheating.

What are your track's rules?
You do realize that cutting/prepping does a lot more than simply dropping the duro.
For instance, there are plenty of preps available that add bite but do not drop the duro at all.
Other preps help control heat and add needed oils to the tire so that it will remain competitive longer in it's life cycle, keeping your tire budget more economical. Would that be considered "cheating?"
I contend that most kart racers "wear" more tires out with a grinder/belt sander than on the race track. ;)

I imagine your shop makes money selling prep & tires .

Absolutely. This business has supported my family for going on 31 years now. For that I am very thankful.
See, I would be the first to applaud any effort to curtail the costs of racing.
Unfortunately, most of those folks making rules prohibiting this, or mandating that, have no clue what actually costs the racers money.
I'm certainly not against tire companies cutting deals with tracks (IF it's in the best interest of the racers,) but rarely is that the case - it's generally most beneficial to the tire company/importer and the track promoter (the two guys signing the contract.)

If there were a sure way to enforce a no-prepping rule, I'd be all for it. Currently there is none (including some supposed lab analysis.)
I make no bones about making money cutting and prepping tires but I'd still be for eliminating it if it could be enforced AND it benefit the racers.
There are many instances where cutting and prepping tires INCREASES tire life and costs the racer less money over the course of a season.

By the way, I don't sell Simple Green, but many "no-prep" tracks allow it to be used on tires.
Should Wal-Mart now be prohibited from selling tire prep and making money on it?
Just sayin.'

Back