Best valve lash on l0206

Very good information above including the videos!! Helping and showing racers how to check things like this is what we all need to do to keep racers at the track. Knowing how to check the valve lash is important as if a racer wanted to or told to would know how. THANKS guys for this!!! One VERY IMPORTANT thing that hasn't been mentioned. Rather you are just firing it up for a few minutes or just coming off the track, once you kill the motor BE SURE TO PULL THE ROPE UNTIL IT COMES ON COMPRESSION!! This seals the valves to the valve seats. Last thing you want is valve leakage and/or warpage.
You just needed to keep reading my long winded post, Kelly. I think I covered that in the last couple sentences/paragraph. (or maybe you have me on block!) :O

^ Yes, and the exhaust lash does open up more than the intake when the engine is up to operating temperature.

How much, you may ask...It's an easy check - set them cold @ 0, then run a few hard laps and check them while hot.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
What all do i need to run my 38lb dual valve springs in my animal engine ?

You can also use valve lash to move the power band slightly for different track configurations.
Just experiment until you find what you like (best lap times.) This is another reason that dyno tuning can be so valuable.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

is 0 good for predator too?
Depends on the cam / profile of your cam. 0 will net higher valve lift than setting it wider. We've even used negative valve lash on engines that typically open up lash when they warm up.
Some engines like tight lash, others do not. It's also track and class specific. Taking overlap out of the cam with wider valve lash can move your power band around some - you can use that to your advantage for sure.

You can also use valve lash to move the power band slightly for different track configurations.
Just experiment until you find what you like (best lap times.) This is another reason that dyno tuning can be so valuable.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
so does more lash give you more upper power band or lower power band

Each engine is a little different. Test and see what works. Do things that you think might NOT work too.

That’s said, the difference in lash can usually only be definitively seen on a dyno, it’s hard to see on track on a speed trace… unless it was comically off to begin with.

Be careful on the exhaust side as too much lash will prevent the compression release from working and you might get some kickback when starting by hand.

Back