best way to remove welch plug

spincycle

anyone have any good tips/tricks on how to accomplish this without screwing up the bore it goes into in a tillotson carb? Thx!

I've done a few the boat and lawn mower.
Definitely don't use a hand drill.
Stop just before it break's through if possible.
A good awl poke it on through and pry out.
Hopefully some others have a better way.

Clamp it in something also don't hold it in your hand.

Last edited:
Be real careful with a small drill bit and drill it with small pressure on the welch plug and as the bit starts through!! stop and take a small punch and pop it out!! No problem at all. J.C

You may be lucky and be able to stop when the drill just goes through but your luck will run out!!
The best way to drill it is with something that you can control more precisely.
A Milling machine or at least a drill press is much more controllable than doing it free hand.

Chip out glue with a pick then pressurize carb bore with 200 psi. Just messing with ya' You can use a dremmel tool and grind through it or a drill in a pin vise so you can feel it breaking through.

Another thing to be safe is to drill the hole off center so that if the drill goes through faster than you would like you don't hit one of the precisely drilled and calibrated holes.

I always use a 5/32 carbide cylindrical burr in my dremel. Start grinding at a 45° angle in middle and just as it starts to break through plug I stop grinding and take a small straight blade screw driver that has half the tip ground away and poke through and pry out.

Back