Better chains

kartboy63

we went to the big block and have been having chain trouble, i want to stay with 35 pitch, is there a better heavy duty chain out there, better than the gold on gold

Regina chain is the best i've seen period
If it won;t survive nothing will
If you are running a Disc Clutch on the big block and you are engaging above approx 3500 (low I know) odds are you won;t find any 35 chain to live very long at all...

If you have a high HP engine often times it's not the chain that's the problem. It's the fact that the engine has so much power that the engine slides back on the chassis and then the chain loosens up. Once the chain gets loose bad stuff happens.
Axle flex under load can also contribute to the problem.

When you look at chain engineering data .
Premier lists tensile strength upwards of 2100 lbs .
Three factors affect chain life .
Speed in inches per minute .
Load as in smooth , moderate and high shock .
Last lubrication drip , brush or oil bath .
In karting its high shock , high speed and little to none lubrication .

what about a jackshaft, do they help any, i never used one

It allows you to use larger tooth gears so you're not binding the chain as much and would be an advantage on smaller bullrings. J/S are used mostly by 2 stroke guys which allows you to get the weight off the crankshaft and keeps the heat away as well so there are advantages to running them.

You also have a long chain, lots of change for alignment problems. If you get a Jack shaft and run your clutch on it, use a 1 to 1 ratio. A Bully setup will smoke your clutch

You also have a long chain, lots of change for alignment problems. If you get a Jack shaft and run your clutch on it, use a 1 to 1 ratio. A Bully setup will smoke your clutch
this is a burris jackshaft setup, the clutch is on the engine and the jackshaft is on the motor mount

I measured a 40 chain link and it had the same width and height side piece as a 35. Not sure it would be stronger. Just a FYI.

However, you can identify it by using the table below:

so a jackshaft with larger dia. gearing should show some improvement on wear, building an open 390, that should give me a path to go down

My open 125 Parilla made a solid 38hp on the dyno. I ran a 30mm belt and a 4 disc Tomar jack shaft setup. The belt/clutch combo was indestructible. Weekly maintenance was to to clean and lube the bearing in the clutch. Ten minutes.

DK

Remember we are talking about a big block, long chain, lots of up and down - side to side movement of the chain

I would have to say yes . Thats where all the movment is , with a centrifugal clutch the shock load vs a motorcycle hand clutch should be considerably less .
Getting lubricant in there and having it stay is the hard part .

Back