better then green filter

If you mean cheaper, yes. The AFR 100 has been the filter of choice by many for many years. I sell them for $11.95.
If you want to increase it's filtering ability you can oil them and also put a nylon outerwears over it for $11.95.
If you want to use a foam prefilter they are $4.95 and also oil thtat.

If you mean cheaper, yes. The AFR 100 has been the filter of choice by many for many years. I sell them for $11.95.
If you want to increase it's filtering ability you can oil them and also put a nylon outerwears over it for $11.95.
not necessarily cheaper although that's nice. but better performance and still get the job done. i always use a foam over filter coated with filter spray.

Yes, there are three that I know of that are "better." Are they necessary? No.
As Jimbo pointed out, the AFR filter is "adequate," as is the Green filter.
Will you see a difference on the track? Probably not.
Can you see a difference on the flowbench? You betcha.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Just to be clear folks. Just because an air filter flows better on the flow bench doesn't mean you will go faster.
Example:
You could use a filter off a 6 liter V8 and you would not go any faster.
The rest of the intake tract will limit the flow. The Briggs Green filter is more than adequate as far as air flow is concerned.
I realize this is not the 206 page but bear with me please.
The original idea of specifying the air filter for the 206 was to prevent the Air filter of the week syndrome.
The original concept was to keep the cost down.
I remember some after market Animal air filters going for $35.00 and the spec 206 filter selling for around $16.00.
I noticed the other day that the same filter that was going for $35.00 in the past has come down in price considerably.
By the rules for my Super Stock Package you are required to use the AFR 100 air filter which can be bought for around $12.00 and it works just great.

is there a better filter then the green filter, for an open animal?
Is the AFR 100. Better at filtering then the Green Filter ?
Filtering should be the main concern .

I can't answer that question because i don't have a scientific method for evaluating filters.
Unlike so many people today i believe in science.
Not trying to be a jerk, but if you or anyone else has a scientific method please fill us in. ;)
However, i have used them for years and they seem just fine to me.
I would also recommend using some kind of pre filter over any 4 cycle air filter.
The tapered GREEN brand Briggs air filter also says right on it to oil it.

For a large purse or to win a championship what would you sacrifice to gain Horsepower?

If I honestly belived no oil on the filter would get the win . Sure .
Fell for that once in qualiflying did not get the pole , never again .
Dirt in carb throat is all i know to tell .

Way back when I used to test an air filters effectiveness by putting a tiny bit of grease or oil on the air horn and feeling it after the race for grit. Hardly scientific but it told me some things not to do. We had always been asphalt racers and initially I thought we did not need oil or a prefilter. Found out otherwise when on a particularly dusty day I pretty much ruined a new engine (flatty). The carb was filled and the intake valve was hung open by methanol mud.

1.jpeg

The result of no oil.
Only takes one, is right.
The rest of the "result" was considerably more expensive.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back