Between Races

I am completely new to all of this, and trying to do what I can to help my 7yr. old son get started. What are some of the basics to do during the week as far as maintenance and tuning and cleaning to have the kart ready for the following Sunday? He is six races in to his "career" running a red plate clone. At the moment, I am not necessarily able to get in to set-up and scaling and the like. But I want to at least be doing the best I can to have the kart and engine in good shape. He's run a dirt race now, but mostly he's driving asphalt. Hopefully that is not too dumb a question. Thanks!

If you can't get the kart scaled, and work tires all week, might as well just let him turn laps.
The best engine will do no good if the chassis and tires don't complement each other.
Maintenance, the kart is taken apart and cleaned, reassembled, scaled and other adjustments checked

Get it so clean it looks like brand new. Come up with a system. Degreaser, power washer, WD40 spray down, wipe her down and air off the excess cleaner and WD40. It sounds quick but it's not lol. Take the chain off and bearings out of the front spindles, clean them with a solvent and soak them in used engine oil or gear oil. Keeping the kart CLEAN will help you find problems before they start too.

Back