Big block running too cold

jm88j

I have an open 420 and i cant seem to get it to run hotter than 250 degrees. I have a solid shield on the shroud, and the timing is at about 34 degrees. It has an HR series tilly on alchohol. What will make it heat up more?

Why is 250 degrees to cold? One of the benefits of running alcohol is cooler cylinder head temps. Cooler head temps help us run more timing and compression. Cooler incoming air is denser.

I have an open 420 and i cant seem to get it to run hotter than 250 degrees. I have a solid shield on the shroud, and the timing is at about 34 degrees. It has an HR series tilly on alchohol. What will make it heat up more?
you can test your lead by dunking it in some boiling water. It's just a good idea to make sure you don't have a problem with it. If I remember right, water boils at 212 degrees.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

you can test your lead by dunking it in some boiling water. It's just a good idea to make sure you don't have a problem with it. If I remember right, water boils at 212 degrees.

This isn't a true statement.

Water Boil at different temperatures depending on altitude.

Why is 250 degrees to cold? One of the benefits of running alcohol is cooler cylinder head temps. Cooler head temps help us run more timing and compression. Cooler incoming air is denser.
Well i was always under the impression that motors make more power at an optimum temperature like 350 degrees or something like that

i will have to try that. regardless of altitude water should boil in the vicinity of 212 degrees

i will have to try that. regardless of altitude water should boil in the vicinity of 212 degrees
that's not true. The higher the altitude, the lower the temperature where the water will boil. In the United States, it depends on where you live.

that's not true. The higher the altitude, the lower the temperature where the water will boil. In the United States, it depends on where you live.

yes but i meant it will be close to 212. like if it says that boiling water is 100 degrees then iknow i have a problem but if it says 200 then its close

If it runs good leave it alone or get it dynoed.... They run nice and cool.... Mine has never reached 300 on alky even when it's hot out

Back