Big track gearing with minimal speedloss.

Let's see what I can get as far as answers. Please y'all don't argue lol. On a big asphalt oval . Gearing at that track as a baseline is 18/62. It works ok but need more pull off the corner as the turns are high high banked. It's flat out no lifting type track. BSP sealed clone. 425 weight rule. I'm 218 lbs and need more torque to pull up off the corners. Any help would be gold!!!!

Big ? 1/4 mile I'm guessing based off the 18/62. If your not lifting and the gearing is perfect, then you'll need to work on front end setup to carry you through faster. What kind of RPM drops are you showing in the corners ? What tires are you on ? Air pressures ? Target RPMS ?

The driver ( holding the wheel and working his feet ) must 100 % maximize momentum, the set up must provided maximum crisp rotation, which will maximize forward drive, then the tires gotta be spot on which will again maximize forward drive, if drops are to low its a gearing issue, your gearbound.

There are a plethora of things that prevent the kart from pulling off the corner.
Chassis setup being complimentary to the chassis designers intent. Tire pressures and grip level also have to jive with the rest of the setup.
Proper gearing making the best use of the engines power.
There's an older chassis at our track that appears to leap up off the corner. You can visibly see it pull away from the others.
The tires and setup combination create this visible speed.

The guys on here can give you tips on what is needed to achieve that balance, but you need to feel out what is needed to arrive there with your kart and setup.

Sorry, no magic cure all formula.

Big ? 1/4 mile I'm guessing based off the 18/62. If your not lifting and the gearing is perfect, then you'll need to work on front end setup to carry you through faster. What kind of RPM drops are you showing in the corners ? What tires are you on ? Air pressures ? Target RPMS ?
5500 is the target ..... dropping around 500 rpms. Tire pressures on maxxis els are 25 on left and 26 on right . Track is 3/8 asphalt 24 degree banking .

There are a plethora of things that prevent the kart from pulling off the corner.
Chassis setup being complimentary to the chassis designers intent. Tire pressures and grip level also have to jive with the rest of the setup.
Proper gearing making the best use of the engines power.
There's an older chassis at our track that appears to leap up off the corner. You can visibly see it pull away from the others.
The tires and setup combination create this visible speed.

The guys on here can give you tips on what is needed to achieve that balance, but you need to feel out what is needed to arrive there with your kart and setup.

Sorry, no magic cure all formula.
My chassis is a 2012 shadow envii... the karts that are dominant are the older ones also.

Are the guys on the mini setup pulling you up off the corner?
Someone apparantly is.
The guys on minis are spread everywhere. I have a ton of speed in the draft and can pull up well going into a corner.... but coming off it's night and day. Even if I go up a lane and late apex to get a run down the hill I cannot come up close enough to get a nose on them.

The driver ( holding the wheel and working his feet ) must 100 % maximize momentum, the set up must provided maximum crisp rotation, which will maximize forward drive, then the tires gotta be spot on which will again maximize forward drive, if drops are to low its a gearing issue, your gearbound.
It's a drop of about 500 sometimes 600 rpms from center off. We have to run maxxis els so the grip is not there anyways really. We can't prep and use sealed motors. It's like Talladega for karts bumpdraft and work in tandem or you go nowhere. I can push like crazy but if I'm leading another kart were hooked together and we still go nowhere center off .

It's a drop of about 500 sometimes 600 rpms from center off. We have to run maxxis els so the grip is not there anyways really. We can't prep and use sealed motors. It's like Talladega for karts bumpdraft and work in tandem or you go nowhere. I can push like crazy but if I'm leading another kart were hooked together and we still go nowhere center off .
If drop is from center off, is the kart pushing, or bound up?
From the late apex comment, it sounds bound up.
Setup numbers may give the asphalt guys some clues to what is needed.

Air seems a little high affecting grip.
Get off LR center off. Slight toe in, static.
Work on aero; seat laid-back ect.
20/67 gear. Pay close attention to stagger.

Best, WP

Back