Bigger drive or smaller driven? (and set up)

eksjordantaylor

Hey guys,

got a race coming up soon and it's on a much bigger track, would you recommend going with a bigger drive sprocket or a smaller driven one? I only once ever tried to change the drive due to absolutely killing it before hand, and it was a complete joke, 2 hours with a hammer a chisel trying to get the thing off of there, so I was thinking it would be better to go with a rear driven sprocket, but smaller? And if so, would it be better to shorten the chain, or to pull the engine forward? We have a really fast right hander with no grip, so I'm not sure how badly it will affect the handling if I pull the engine forward a bit?

And also, any help with set up is greatly appreciated! Running a medium 50mm rear axle, and not too sure about how wide I should go, and also, considering bringing the front tracking out a bit too for stability on the sweeper, anyone reckon this would be worthy?

Hey guys,

got a race coming up soon and it's on a much bigger track, would you recommend going with a bigger drive sprocket or a smaller driven one?
the big driver, small driver, debate has gone on for years. I'm on the side that says the driver size makes no difference, within reason. You didn't say what gear ratio you have now so it's hard to say how many teeth on the axle would it take to equal one tooth on the engine. If you had a 10 tooth on the engine and changed it to 11, that would be about six teeth difference on the axle. With a 10/63, it's about the same ratio as a 11/69.

You need a good gear ratio chart! And you need to post what gears you are running now.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Back