BK 6 Salem

Big Felcy

Just over a week to go. Looks like a pretty big kart count so far. Drivers from California, Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. Practice and goldfish racing/adult beverages Friday night the 24th. Gates open at 3pm, practice 6-9pm. On Saturday the 25th, drivers meeting at 11am, practice starts at noon. Along with the UAS 1/4 point race we are also running UAS Sportsman. For more info you can go to the Salem Speedway Facebook page.

BK6 write-up

This is what the Buddha Kinser Memorial race is all about.

Cory Penfold
Salem, Oregon

Salem Speedway is set to host one of it's two big races of the year this weekend. The annual Buddha Kinser Memorial is one of if not the biggest indoor speedway karting event in the nation. This year is the sixth running of the event and there is a buzz in the air that one can feel in the karting world.

The race is run in honor of Jeff "Buddah" Benson aka Buddah Kinser. Buddha a racer himself before he passed to the racing heavens above is honored every year with one of the most prestigious events in karting in the western United States.

The "BK" draws the best of the best from multiple states and the competition is strong enough to rival what you could find at the Nationals.

Renee Angel known as "Washington's Fastest Lady" is a former winner of this event. She claimed the "BK1". Winning the inaugural event meant a lot to her personally as she was a close friend of the races namesake. Angel was kind enough to take time out of her busy schedule to talk with me via telephone.

CP: What does this race mean to you personally?

RA: To me it’s not about the "race", it’s about getting together with friends and family and remembering Buddha.

CP: Being a former winner of this race you understand just how tough the competition is, what are you expecting this year as far as teams in attendance?

RA: The bar gets set higher and higher each year for this race. Chassis, motors, tires...they are all top priority now and you have to have a complete package to even make the A Main let alone run up front not to mention some racing luck! I’ve heard of several California teams that are coming up, some that I just competed against at the Holiday Classic in Phoenix, Arizona. The winner is going to have to have it all together from the beginning to the end!

For those who were close to Buddha Kinser the race holds a very special place in their heart. Angel sums it up with the statement that "just being part of the event is all that matters."

The event to honor a man who was so dearly loved by so many and appreciated by everyone in the kart racing community has become a lot more than just a prestigious race. The race almost seems secondary to the fellowship, the stories being shared, the laughter and yes even the tears.

Angel shared a favorite moment between Buddha and herself that she carries with her at every race.

"One year Jeff was running the CKA club races at Oakwood and he wanted to have two Pro-Yamaha races that year, each $500 to win. Since I was running the CKA books, I told him that he would have to come up with the $1000 payout because CKA didn't have it. He said no problem and he'd take it outta his own pocket if he had to.

The first race Pat Dykus who was driving Jeff's kart won and I finished a very close second place. I told Jeff and Pat that I wasn’t going to make it so easy for the next one! The next money race came and I clean swept both the heats and main and went on to win the $500. I did my victory lap with the checkered flag and pulled into the scale area. He was the first one to greet me, I was still in the kart and he bent down and got right in my face and yelled “YOU SUCK!”. The pits went dead silent and I think people thought there was going to be a fight or something. We both started laughing!

From that day forward, every time I would win a big race he would yell the same “YOU SUCK!” at me and we would get our laughs. Now that he’s gone, the first thing that goes through my mind on the cool down lap every time I win is him yelling “YOU SUCK!” and us laughing about it.

Ronnie Cox is known both throughout the Northwest and nationally as a top echelon kart racer. I spoke with him as well and he took the time out of his day off and preparing his equipment for the biggest race of the year to answer some questions I had for him.

CP: You and Buddha were best friends correct?

RC: Yes he was one of my good friends. He crewed for me when I raced sprint cars and we raced karts together for along time. I drove his kart for a couple of years back around 2000-2001. We did alot of stuff away from the track but most of it was racing related.

CP: You won the second annual Buddha race. Winning that race had to be very special to you. Let's talk about that race and how you won it.

RC: Yes I won the 2nd BK race at Oakwood in Roy, Wa. So far that race to date was the biggest BK race with 43 entries. It was a very emotional deal for me to win. I gotta pretty choked up afterwards. As far as the racing part of it, it was great. My kart was really fast that day. I won both heats, the Dash and the main. And in the Main I lapped all the way to 4th place. Another cool thing about that race, another buddy of mine Nick Frausto ( who was also friends with Buddha) ran one of my other karts and finished 3rd. I was pretty stoked to have both my karts 1st and 3rd. But very emotional deal for sure. Terry Bridges came down to interview me in the infield and I got about 3 words out and just lost it! Buddhas mom came across the track and gave me a big hug and that was super special!

CP: The Buddha Kinser Memorial was originally held in your native state of Washington. Why the change of venue and how has the move to the Salem Speedway in Oregon affected the race?

RC: It was orginally held at Oakwood Arena in Roy, Wa. That was our home track and that's actually where Buddha passed away while racing. Unfortunately, the owner of that track passed away and turned the track over to his kids who wanted nothing to do with motorsports anymore. They now rent the place out to some horse people that hold Polo matches. So awhile after that on the one year anniversary of his passing a bunch of us (Buddha's friends) went and had dinner and myself and Renne Angel got to talking and kinda threw Salem out there. It was aways away for a lot of the Washington people but we figured if you want to have the best race, pick the best track. Salem is by far the best track. I called Roger Freeborn. Introduced myself and told him what we were doing and a little about Buddha. I Explained that we had lost our track, ect. He didn't even hesitate and we started planning for BK3. Each year since it has gotten bigger and bigger. Averaging about 30 or so karts each year. Plus with the addition of going to a UAS sanctioned event the race has gotten alot of national attention!

CP: You knew Buddha better than most people. On a personal level not just as a racer what kind of person was Buddha?

RC: On a personal level Buddha sure loved his racing, but more importantly he loved having a good time. And I know his family was important to him as well. He had a lot of friends that's for sure. He'd give you the shirt right off his back...although it would probably be to big! (Cox said with a chuckle)

CP: Bensons passion for racing would rival nearly any racer who has ever lived, respected as a driver Buddha was really known for his knowledge of setting up the kart and making it work at maximum performance levels. What did you learn from him and how much did he affect your race team? And the karting community as a whole.

RC: He had a pretty strong passion for racing. Probably more so than others. He worked on sprint cars, mini sprints, karts whatever he could. He owned a kart shop for several years in Monroe, Washington. Just about everyone knew who he was. For a few years he thought he was the greatest driver there ever was (laughing) but for the most part he had friends drive the karts he built. One thing that I learned from him was probably no matter how bad of a day your having at the track he would always say something funny and make me laugh, and there's always next week.

CP: If you can share a story of your friendship with Jeff what is the your favorite memory?

RC: A quick story of many. One night years ago at Oakwood we were working together on a Saturday night putting the track in for the next days race. It was late and that night I had gotten a littled carried away with the water hose. The track was pretty wet. We both had our trucks down there and so we figured we'd just start making laps and pack it in. Both of our trucks were similar. He had an 1986 ford and I had a 1991. Both were junk and about on their last leg. So we started packing the track, about half way through the deal the guy that owns the building shuts the lights off. So it's pitch black and were just using the headlights on our trucks. After about an hour or so the track started to come in and it was like someone dropped the green 'cause next thing you know we're just going for it. Oakwood is a pretty small track. A lot smaller than Salem! After about 20 laps and just rippin' around there in our trucks he got up right behind me and I just slammed on the brakes. He rear ended me going about 30mph and just destroyed the front of his truck, broke both headlights smashed the grille. I ened up giving him a ride home that night, next morning we stopped and got a couple headlights! Had to be there but I laugh every time I think about it!

Continued

CP: Your kart this year is a tribute to your friend. How did you come up with the idea of the wrap that has nearly 40 photos of him?

RC: My kart this year was just kinda an idea I have had for awhile. I have a good buddy Jake Mann who was also friends with Buddha. He owns a graphics shop ( FX Signs in Monroe, Wa.) he has been one of the sponsors of the race every year. I told him what I wanted and he just made it happen. I think it turned out pretty cool.

CP: We know the scale of competiton in the sixth edition of the "BK" is going to be stronger than ever. Can you tell us what drivers you know are coming for sure and what states will be represented this year?

RC: This year's race there will be a lot of people coming from out of state. Ryan Diatte from California who just won the holiday classic in Phoenix is coming, Steven Chase who led most of the Grand Nationals race this year in Missouri is coming, Cris Gibb who comes every year, Cris Mellow, Ford Cook, Michael Laughton, Ron Bolles plus all the regulars and hopefully some more that I dont know about.

CP: Last question. What's it going to take for a driver to win and add their name to the prestigious BK Trophy this year?

RC: What will it take to win this year? I think it's gonna take the whole package. Good kart, good motor, the right tires and most importantly a little racers luck. Sometimes the fastest karts don't always win. But we will see! I feel like if a whole bunch of people and friends show up, have a good time and remember Buddha then I win no matter where I finish.That is my goal every year, have a great big race that everyone gets together at, swap some Buddha stories and bang some wheels a little bit. If it's a big deal then all year long people will talk about it and talk about Buddha!

Race fans if you haven't ever visited Salem Speedway or even if you're a regular, we'd like to invite you to come join us and celebrate the memory of Jeff "Buddah Kinser" Benson. The BK6 truly is the best indoor speedway kart race you can attend on the West Coast and arguably in the nation. Come watch the best of the best honor a man the karting community dearly misses. This Saturday at noon at the State Fairgrounds in Salem, Oregon we are going to line up the best karters in western region, turn 'em loose and put on one heck of a show that hopefully puts a smile on Buddha's face as he looks down from the racing heavens above while we honor his life exactly how he would want us to.

Past winners of the Buddha Kinser Memorial are :

BK1...Renne Angle
BK2...Ronnie Cox
BK3...Garret Thomas
BK4...Wayne Felch
BK5...Wayne Felch

The unofficial official results..... 21 Karts UAS

1. #33 Michael Laughton
2. #43 Joe Stackman
3. #9 Ronnie Cox
4. #23 Marc Bryant
5. #58 Cris Passante
6. #3 Ryan Diatte
7. #19 Stephen Chase
8. #8 T. Lawrence
9. #33x Brad Berg
10. #84 Cris Gibb
11. #7 Eric Stansberry
12. #21 Arron Elton
13. #44 Shane Smith
14. #36 Wayne Felch

Right near the end there, sure looked like 44 decided not to let the 36 (I think was the #) to pass him.
Shove 'em in the wall....is one way to stop a pass!

It was an unfortunate end to a very intense race Paul. Thankfully nobody was hurt. Time to move forward to the next race. Thanks to everyone who makes this all possible. Lots of very nice equipment and talent. The bar raises every year.

It was an unfortunate end to a very intense race Paul. Thankfully nobody was hurt. Time to move forward to the next race. Thanks to everyone who makes this all possible. Lots of very nice equipment and talent. The bar raises every year.
Yep.....racing incidents are part of the game.
At least, karters don't blow up huge, expensive supercharged engines and catch fire as happened in my profession decades ago.
Rubbing is still racing! :) ...............PD

Back