Black sand cure time?

I find that for the full effect needs 10-14 days of cure time, yet I know of many who cut it with acrysol and use it trackside.
Not saying you can't do that, but you get more bite if it has more cure time in my opinion.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If you wipe black sand on mon and Tuesday and it’s still greasy on Saturday do you go on the track with your tires still greasy or what are you doing to get the greasy feel off the tires?

If you wipe black sand on mon and Tuesday and it’s still greasy on Saturday do you go on the track with your tires still greasy or what are you doing to get the greasy feel off the tires?
I don't use black sand but SST5 does the same thing. I set them out in the sun. I'm sure you could hit them with some heat. Cant answer about going out with greasy feeling I always set them in the sun the day before if they are still that way.

The greasy feeling has never been an issue. It will all come off during the first practice laps. Most say that the greasy feeling turns into grip. But when the tire does feel greasy, it is time to stop prepping.
I like to put a coat on every day. Along with some sort of base prep. Usually a hard base as we run on a hard dry clay track.

The greasy feel is the bite, you just aren't letting it cure. We have found that black sand works much better if given ample time to cure ( 10 days or so) and it lasts much longer vs just cutting with acrysol and wiping at the track. IMO one of the best preps on the market.

Yup I changed my application of it as well. I now wipe on Monday and don’t touch the tires till Friday. Then at the track I use rough cut diamond or Mr. Carlson’s bite 2.0 and they both work awesome as it bite adder that doesn’t soften much to fire them off.

Also, if your tires are greasy with prep (any prep), it might be because the prep isn't penetrating the rubber. You may have to refinish your tires to open them up again before applying more prep.
I think of greasy tires as the good oils laying on top of the rubber. Running tires like this is wasting prep - sure it will come off in the first lap or two, but that kart will be a handful during that time, won't build sufficient grip, and thus waste an entire hot lap session most times. And who wants to be wasting prep and/or track time?
With that said, other preps (some PRW's in particular,) can be wet on the grid, or even preferred wet, so as they do not soften the tire, just add enough bite to fire the tire off. These types of preps will not be greasy though, simply wet = big difference.

50/50 but consider that you are diluting the good bite chemicals in the prep by doing so.
Yep, it'll dry quicker, but you won't get the same bite from it curing in over time.

If your cutting blacksand the Track Tac quick dry works better than acrysol. The quick dry is a very nice product.

Sometimes both if we race back to back weekends. I’m really liking that bite agent Brian sells the 2.0 👍🏻😉 that’s the ticket for adding nice trackside bite.

Back