Block threads

Johnboy72

So using my buddy's torque wrench (which I hate his wrench) to torque the crank cover and 2 of the bolts stripped. What are my options? Re tap it out slightly bigger? I'd hate to have to buy a new block.

Ryan Thompson

You can get heli coil or time sert..time serts are very good and we use them on head bolts in 1000+ hp engines in our drag car stuff..

Most come with directions..you'll tap it a little bigger with the tap and then install your insert of choice. Just get the kit for that size bolt..not just the insert.

mikelavite#72

Premium User
if time is not on your side with this problem . tap it to next size up . i have never used a torque wrench on side cover bolts to risky

With as short as the threads are in the block, use a Heli-Coil or similar thread insert and be done with it. Buy the 1/4 - 20 kit at your local hardware - you'll need it again sometime in the future.

We ALWAYS use a torque wrench on sidecover bolts! It's guys that don't that cause the need for heli-coils, Mike! ;)

Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Freezeman

Premium User
Torque can be adjusted to a proper amount and then repeated with great accuracy.
Snug is a feel good term that that only works as long as you feel good about it.

mikelavite#72

Premium User
Torque can be adjusted to a proper amount and then repeated with great accuracy.
Snug is a feel good term that that only works as long as you feel good about it.

x2 i am fine with my way . nothing wrong with the torque wrench at all though . just found a way i am comfortable with

I'm just razzin' ya Mike. We all have our pet peeves. I love torque wrenches (especially accurate ones.) I'm pretty particular about my builds and document just about everything (including sidecover torque.)

By the way, over-tightening the sidecover bolts isn't the proper way to reduce crank endplay. :)
Although, it does work to increase pressure slightly on Hilborn fuel pumps.

MartinBuilt Clutches

Clutch Builder
With as short as the threads are in the block, use a Heli-Coil or similar thread insert and be done with it. Buy the 1/4 - 20 kit at your local hardware - you'll need it again sometime in the future.

We ALWAYS use a torque wrench on sidecover bolts! It's guys that don't that cause the need for heli-coils, Mike! ;)

Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
x 2 on that

Johnboy72

I actually have a thread zert kit or whatever ya call it I found in my old motor pool. But a buddy of mine mentioned heli coil so might look into that.