Block threads

Johnboy72

So using my buddy's torque wrench (which I hate his wrench) to torque the crank cover and 2 of the bolts stripped. What are my options? Re tap it out slightly bigger? I'd hate to have to buy a new block.

You can get heli coil or time sert..time serts are very good and we use them on head bolts in 1000+ hp engines in our drag car stuff..

Most come with directions..you'll tap it a little bigger with the tap and then install your insert of choice. Just get the kit for that size bolt..not just the insert.

if time is not on your side with this problem . tap it to next size up . i have never used a torque wrench on side cover bolts to risky

With as short as the threads are in the block, use a Heli-Coil or similar thread insert and be done with it. Buy the 1/4 - 20 kit at your local hardware - you'll need it again sometime in the future.

We ALWAYS use a torque wrench on sidecover bolts! It's guys that don't that cause the need for heli-coils, Mike! ;)

Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Torque can be adjusted to a proper amount and then repeated with great accuracy.
Snug is a feel good term that that only works as long as you feel good about it.

Torque can be adjusted to a proper amount and then repeated with great accuracy.
Snug is a feel good term that that only works as long as you feel good about it.

x2 i am fine with my way . nothing wrong with the torque wrench at all though . just found a way i am comfortable with

I'm just razzin' ya Mike. We all have our pet peeves. I love torque wrenches (especially accurate ones.) I'm pretty particular about my builds and document just about everything (including sidecover torque.)

By the way, over-tightening the sidecover bolts isn't the proper way to reduce crank endplay. :)
Although, it does work to increase pressure slightly on Hilborn fuel pumps.

With as short as the threads are in the block, use a Heli-Coil or similar thread insert and be done with it. Buy the 1/4 - 20 kit at your local hardware - you'll need it again sometime in the future.

We ALWAYS use a torque wrench on sidecover bolts! It's guys that don't that cause the need for heli-coils, Mike! ;)

Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
x 2 on that

I actually have a thread zert kit or whatever ya call it I found in my old motor pool. But a buddy of mine mentioned heli coil so might look into that.

Back