Blue clutch discs on Vortex 2 Disc

I run two classes with the same kart. So basically I am running 5 times a night. Would it be best to have two clutches and switch them out before the feature? My thinking is as the night goes on the dirt collecting on the discs is causing some issues. Does anyone else do this or just run one clutch and clean it after a night of racing?

I run two classes with the same kart. So basically I am running 5 times a night. Would it be best to have two clutches and switch them out before the feature? My thinking is as the night goes on the dirt collecting on the discs is causing some issues. Does anyone else do this or just run one clutch and clean it after a night of racing?
Running two classes you often dont have enough time to make changes let alone switch a clutch out. You do the weekly work on the clutch correctly it should be fine for a night running 2 classes unless you are on a bushing driver then i would say take it off after heats and regrease or have another ready.

We ran our animal two classes per event plenty of times .
The clutch never looked like that one .
My smc bullet never did either and it was rode hard and very little maintenance .

Sorry for not understanding. New to this stuff. How many races are the plates good for. We run two classes a night and those plates are only 7 nights old.
So basically 2 months . I guess thats not terrible .
Clutch maintenance is now on your too do list .

We usually run 2 classes 375# (4 heats) 2 features on an 11tooth bushing and a dusty track with no issues. We don’t get time to wash tires, just slap another set on.

So do I, what is your cleaning regime?
We only run SMC Vortex. Part of our weekly routine is to clean the discs with a platers brush to extract any loose dirt that has stuck to the plates. Make sure you put the plates and discs back on in the exact order they come off and the way they are laid against the clutch. It only takes about 5-10 minutes to properly clean these clutches.

We only run SMC Vortex. Part of our weekly routine is to clean the discs with a platers brush to extract any loose dirt that has stuck to the plates. Make sure you put the plates and discs back on in the exact order they come off and the way they are laid against the clutch. It only takes about 5-10 minutes to properly clean these clutches.
When do you decide to replace them on the SMC stuff?

Did you ever get this problem fixed ?
Yes, I do not know what exactly was the issue. Started sanding plates with 220 grit sandpaper as told by SMC. Always have used platers brush on discs. I did move the kids brake pedal forward about 1" thinking maybe his foot was resting on the pedal. Had a long talk with him about maybe he was riding the brake? So really not sure what cured the problem.

When do you decide to replace them on the SMC stuff?
I just look at the discs and if they look thin and worn, I’ll replace them. Or as stated in the post, if the plates are discolored badly, I’ll replace. We’re running them on JR2 at 280, jr sportsman champ at 320 and jr3 at 320. Jr2 is single disc, the others are two disc. Haven’t had any problems out of these clutches for the 3 years we’ve ran them. Keeping the discs clean is the key

I just look at the discs and if they look thin and worn, I’ll replace them. Or as stated in the post, if the plates are discolored badly, I’ll replace. We’re running them on JR2 at 280, jr sportsman champ at 320 and jr3 at 320. Jr2 is single disc, the others are two disc. Haven’t had any problems out of these clutches for the 3 years we’ve ran them. Keeping the discs clean is the key
I got a 3disc with our Jr sprint and the son burnt half the disc's off the first time he drove it. Bought a kit for it and its been fine, it just doesn't sit well with me to have to ask the driver(a kid) if the clutch is good or not. A measurable number like the bully air gap is easier for me to keep track of

I got a 3disc with our Jr sprint and the son burnt half the disc's off the first time he drove it. Bought a kit for it and its been fine, it just doesn't sit well with me to have to ask the driver(a kid) if the clutch is good or not. A measurable number like the bully air gap is easier for me to keep track of
Understandable. It could have been caused by the clutch not fully disengaging but I understand what you’re saying. As a habit, I do check ours about once a month to make sure they are still engaging at the rpm we need.

How are those clutches working now? Well, I hope.

Back