blue plate cam

CL-3, Intake centerline of 112-113. Use the short square tip rockers and set the lift on both valves at .235 with zero lash cold. 37 deg timing, .075 coil gap (ARC Flywheel). With the right carb set up you should have a power range of 6300-6500 with a small pipe.

Questions like this are open ended.
It's like when a woman asks what dress should I wear. Whelp it depends on where you are going. Going to a wedding? Going to a funeral? Going to church? Or going out to the local pub on a Sat night? Or going to the dirt track races? These all call for different attire.

Much like that open ended question about which dress to wear, cam selection depends on the track and the experience level of your driver. These determine your target rpm range. That's the key.......what's your target rpm range?

A momentum 1/5 mile where you don't have to lift at all calls for a different engine setup than a 1/10 mile bullring, don't let anyone tell you different.

Questions like this are open ended.
It's like when a woman asks what dress should I wear. Whelp it depends on where you are going. Going to a wedding? Going to a funeral? Going to church? Or going out to the local pub on a Sat night? Or going to the dirt track races? These all call for different attire.

Much like that open ended question about which dress to wear, cam selection depends on the track and the experience level of your driver. These determine your target rpm range. That's the key.......what's your target rpm range?

A momentum 1/5 mile where you don't have to lift at all calls for a different engine setup than a 1/10 mile bullring, don't let anyone tell you different.

So if a guy races one week at a indoor track, the next weekend at a 1/4 mike track by what you are saying he needs either two different engines or to send it back to you after each race to reset the cam? No offense but that is not accurate. It doesn’t matter how you set the cam up it will always have a power range, just stay within the range.

Last edited:
Jody,

Take a look at my website, and the Facebook feed that goes along with it. My customers win. I work with them to understand their needs and build accordingly. Yes their are sometimes compromises. But if I have someone chasing points at a particular track every week, guess what I'm building for...........

DynoDon sees one of my pieces run first hand weekly and has tech'ed it, and will probably continue to tech it throughout the season.

Not to toot my own horn, but the results of my work back up my claims. Point being, I'm not another keyboard cowboy. I also know you're not either so if you'd like to chat about this further, we can take this conversation offline and discuss it further, I always enjoy our little talks.

The Karter24's original question is open ended, and I stand behind everything I've written in this thread.

Jody,

Take a look at my website, and the Facebook feed that goes along with it. My customers win. I work with them to understand their needs and build accordingly. Yes their are sometimes compromises. But if I have someone chasing points at a particular track every week, guess what I'm building for...........

DynoDon sees one of my pieces run first hand weekly and has tech'ed it, and will probably continue to tech it throughout the season.

Not to toot my own horn, but the results of my work back up my claims. Point being, I'm not another keyboard cowboy. I also know you're not either so if you'd like to chat about this further, we can take this conversation offline and discuss it further, I always enjoy our little talks.

The Karter24's original question is open ended, and I stand behind everything I've written in this thread.

Even though it was 6:15am when I typed that, I have gone back and re-read it several time and just can't seem to find where I said your stuff dont win or is not good. Guess I'm just overlooking it. I did edit it removing the last line that said my blues win with this set up on all track sizes because that may have been what you were referring to. Also am missing the part where I called you, as you put it a keyboard cowboy. Ether way you are free to decipher my text anyway you want, however what I was pointing out was the fact of giving a complex answer to a singular question is not correct. The original poster asked the "whats" without giving the "whys", so I gave him a singular answer that will give him the best all around results for which ever type of track he chooses to run on. In my line of work this is something you must learn to work with or you will not last long. I could have gone into a 20 page editorial with many different blue plate set ups for every track you can name, but what good would that have done other than possibly confuse him or others? Now as far as our conversations, yes we've had many and I helped you out just like I helped this guy out, just like I'll help anyone. If what I posted offended you then sorry, but the job I am paid to do is to deliver facts, not opinions or guesstimations as simply as I can. You have your opinion or your way on how things should be and that's fine. That's what this site is for, open discussion. However don't misconstrue what I said because it differs from the way you do things, neither is wrong and neither will send him in the wrong direction. The original poster now has a few different options on what he can do, now its up to him to act on them or ask more questions to get a better understanding of what he needs.

You did not offend me. You're reading too far into this. Calm down.

In post #6 you said "No offense but that is not accurate". And I called you on it.

You even allude to it in post #8 in this comment. "I could have gone into a 20 page editorial with many different blue plate set ups for every track you can name". If I read this right, there is more than one...................which was my point, and contradicts what you said in post #6.

but the job I am paid to do is to deliver facts, not opinions or guesstimations as simply as I can.

Fact is, to optimize you cant give "a singular answer that will give the best all around results". Again from post #8.

All I did was ask what was the rpm range Kart24 intended to run. I made it very clear in my post with this question "That's the key.......what's your target rpm range?"

You've blown this WAY out of proportion, I will no longer argue with you on this thread Jody.

You did not offend me. You're reading too far into this. Calm down.

You said "No offense but that is not accurate". On your initial reply, and I called you on it. You even allude to it in this comment. "I could have gone into a 20 page editorial with many different blue plate set ups for every track you can name". If I read this right, there is more than one...................

Fact is, to optimize you cant give "a singular answer that will give the best all around results". That's a compromise.

All I did was ask what was the rpm range Kart24 intended to run.

I will no longer argue with you on this thread Jody.

And so continues the tradition... Statistic number, I've lost count lol

I build all ours the same no matter if running bullring or super speedway. When matched up and tuned correctly they'll make more hp throughout the entire range making it better for all configurations.

I build all ours the same no matter if running bullring or super speedway. When matched up and tuned correctly they'll make more hp throughout the entire range making it better for all configurations.

Yeah, I don't do that. Each one I tune for it's intended application.

I'm still having really good luck with a cl2-r2 in our blue plate shows great numbers on top end and dosent fall off fast

Maybe you disagree Chris (and nothing wrong with seeing it differently)but using a proven package in a plate engine doesn't seem cookie cutter to me. Anything I've built that made better hp at peak in these plate engines were better throughout the range. Therefore anything I build untill I can find something to produce better #'s will use same package. Not saying your process is silly or will not work.. Just putting out there what works for us.
Lighten up and don't take comments as if someone is throwing off on you. Obviously your a good guy who works hard on his stuff and has useful information.

Two years ago went to Iowa from Texas for a sat sun race with 8yr old behind the wheel running green plate.. First race was at english creek. Big 1/6th with incredible banking. Finished 2nd out of 17 and started 6th. Almost won it. Was on a 14-64 1/4 in stagger.The next day went the infield of the famous Knoxville raceway on a short (made for one race) track. I was the only one in the pits with the bully conversion for Hillard to a 10 tooth clutch. We almost lapped the whole field. 10-60 with 1 1/4 more stagger. Same motor both nights. Set up set up set up.

I'd have to agree with Jody and Eric on this, (not that my opinion means a darn thing!) when you're building national caliber engines and shipping them all over the country you have to factor in most guys are racing everywhere! No Offense Chris, I have heard how well your engines run but you are cutting yourself short by custom building an engine to a specific track. Down here in Florida we have several tracks to race on year round, one weekend we're at a big 1/4 mile track and the next night we're at a super tight 1/10 paperclip. I use the same engine and just work the setup and make sure the gear is right to keep the engine in the power range.

Not a specific track rather a a specific rpm range, for example engine prep between a weenie pipe and big pipe differ. As those familiar with the dyno curves of each know that the weenie by design limits power in the upper rpm ranges. If you look back at what I said, I was specifically pointing to a target rpm range. And yes I did tie that to a track type, which in hind sight I should have avoided. But in general, a smaller track wants more rpm.

In so far as cutting myself short, I dunno, I've had many competitor engines come through my shop for one reason or another. So I have a good idea of what I'm up against. I always collect baseline dyno data on them. Some are impressive, some not so much.

FWIW a national caliber engine is the furthest thing from cookie cut. One thing is certain, not every engine that comes from a builder is national caliber. There are simply some engines, that for whatever reason, really shine above the rest.

Last edited:
Back