Blue plate class

8bsimpson5

My son is 13years old 210lb out of kart 359.8 in kart can't cut anymore weight out of kart. we ran blue class last year and had our butts handed to us. Tried running same gears as everyone else but rpms would be to low and when I get him I'm the 6700rpm range they still have a half lap on him or even lap him I'm out of ideas on what to do if anyone has any ideas on what I can do to help him would be highly appreciated

FYI - Looks like you posted this in the wrong forum (Classifieds / Personal items). Don't be surprised if it's moved.

The 1st thing you mention is weight so I'll ask how far off are your lap times from the adult weight classes? I get it you have a plate in and the adults do not. If you have a 325, 350, and 375 class look at the difference between 350 vs 375 and even 325 to 375 and see how much difference there is. At some tracks I go to several racers don't pull lead and run 25-30 lbs heavy in the lighter class as lap times are fairly equal while other tracks 30 lbs is a big change and you want to be as close to the minimum weight as you can be.

I'm guessing your blue plate weight is 320 lbs so you're running 40 lbs over the minimum weight. I'd likely be 1-2 teeth bigger on the rear gear the competitors near the min weight. I'd also be running higher air than the competitors (verify air with the adult class closest to 360 lbs).

I'd seek advise mainly from the adult drivers (or at least someone that can look at your situation vs the standard blue plate set-up) on seat placement and weight, if you're running any, to gain better transfer and handling.

That's awesome to see your son still wanting to compete knowing that his competitors have an advantage due to their size. It's very much possible to be competitive carrying around some extra weight. I'd make sure you have a solid set-up specific for your driver and keep working your tire game!

First your gearing don't compare to others in your class, ask some of the front runners in the Sr 350 lb or 360 lb class what there gearing is and you should be same front driver with 1 less on rear, which provided you have a good blue plate motor will put you around 6550 rpm which is what you want for a oval momentum track never out of the throttle drops are 500 and under, then on tracks with longer straight's higher drops turn it 6700 rpm, If you find yourself chasing rpm then it's simple your set up, or tires are off or both, or your driver is not maximizing momentum same as the others are, I've been helping tune blue plates along with Sr now for many years and cream of the crop blue plates will turn sometimes same lap times as SR or with in a tenth or two, maybe 3 th unless the two classes are real far apart in the racing order because of track changing, YES your at a disadvantage being 40 lb heavy HOWEVER as far off as you are tells me you got other issues going on, you have to sort out what they are, as mentioned above could be set up, could be tires, could be the driver himself, could be a combination of those, without fixing those issues even if your class weight were 360 lb you'd find yourself at the back of the pack. As far as options based on the weight alone you only have one move up into Sr Class closest to your weight of say 360 lb.
Hope this helps !!

You have fallen into the trap of chasing RPM instead
of low lap times. RPMs do not win races.
Giving up the 40lbs is gonna be
tough no matter what you do.

We were always 35-45# heavy in Blue. 6700 seems like alot of RPM for a blue plate, we always ran best around 6475-6550. Blue is a tough class, everything has to be right, tires, close setup and the driver has lay off the brakes more than normal.

We were always 35-45# heavy in Blue. 6700 seems like alot of RPM for a blue plate, we always ran best around 6475-6550. Blue is a tough class, everything has to be right, tires, close setup and the driver has lay off the brakes more than normal.
Correct you only need 6700 rpm at a track like pennscreek

We just started running at Miller Raceway in Montgomery Indiana. I'm going to take all the advice you guys have given me and use it to try and get him up a few spot and give him some confidence. Thank you all

Back