Blueprinted engines

Everything possible to gain hp, and reduce friction, is done. Within the limits of the rules.
Sometimes that is a lot.
And there is a lot that can be done and still be legal. Or as Smokey Yunick Would put it.
As long as the tech inspector can't find it . It is legal.
I see you are a new member, so If you are running a class that allows blueprinting of an engine, You will not be extremely competitive without getting your engine blueprinted. Hope that answered your question.

Thanks, I run a predator class right now but I want to move up to a clone.

Be mindful of what you're about to invest in. You're going from a $99 motor (roughly $2-300 in extras for class specs) up to a $800-$1,200 motor depending on who you go with.
Not to mention tire change for the classes.

"Blueprinted" means bringing everything up to a standard. The deck is flat and 90* to the piston
The crank is 90* to the cylinder bore. Tolerances are set to what makes HP.
Everything that someone can think of that may make HP (within the rules - see Smokey Yunick comment above) is done.
It ain't exactly cheap

I talked to the track owner today on our predator rules. He stated that absolutely nothing can be done to the heads or inside the crankcase. I then asked him about the blue printed motors being ran and he said that was fine and there was no power increase. I asked him if there was no power increase than why do people get it done. Still waiting on a reply from him.

A properly blueprinted engine will absolutely produce more HP.
If it didn't, no one would waste the $$ to blueprint any engine, anywhere.
When you line everything up as it should be, it can't help but produce more.
On an air restricted Predator, maybe not much (.5 ?) But more.
And if there are no cam specs, $5 says someone is tweaking the cam.
(See the on-going discussion on EL tire cheating for reference.)

^ There you go....Blueprinted to the extent of the rules,

With some Predator rules packages that I've seen, that open a LOT of doors wide open.
$650 Predator engines (governor still in tact) are already here.
Poor rules making and enforcing are entirely to blame.
The racers (and builders) are simply getting the most out of their engine within the rules given.
This is why it is so important to have a solid set of rules in place from the very beginning of the class, and that newer imports MUST conform to the current rules, not the other way around.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

^ There you go....Blueprinted to the extent of the rules,

With some Predator rules packages that I've seen, that open a LOT of doors wide open.
$650 Predator engines (governor still in tact) are already here.
Poor rules making and enforcing are entirely to blame.
The racers (and builders) are simply getting the most out of their engine within the rules given.
This is why it is so important to have a solid set of rules in place from the very beginning of the class, and that newer imports MUST conform to the current rules, not the other way around.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
most predator rules I've seen are "out of box" then they give you the few things that can be done to it after it leaves the box. But thats one of the problems is one track is one way and another track is another way.

most predator rules I've seen are "out of box" then they give you the few things that can be done to it after it leaves the box. But thats one of the problems is one track is one way and another track is another way.
And thats the way the Predator is suppose to be, the tracks making the rules for the weekly racers, if you want to travel to different tracks make the changes to your engine or buy another and fix it for another track.

I just thought it was funny when the track owner said absolutely nothing can be done to the motor except remove the governor! The faster karts are within a half a second of the clone times. I am within a half a second of the fastest predator times with a straight out of the box governer removed only motor. So in all it may not be giving much but it is giving a little more!

That's the way it started with the flat head and the clone. Ya know how that worked, Sadly, I see the predator going the same way.

That's the way it started with the flat head and the clone. Ya know how that worked, Sadly, I see the predator going the same way.
Both of the motors you mentioned (flathead and clone) went on to become very popular. The only problem with the clone is a lack of a centralized rule set, and honestly, with the predator, the rules are all over the place from track to track, let alone state to state.

There is only one happy person at the end of every race, the winner. And the more people that are there trying to win, the more expensive it's going to be.
I didn't make it that way, it's human nature to want to win.

I've honestly never understood the logic of requiring folks to put an out-of-the-box $100 motor on a new $3500 chassis with a good-for-one-race $500 set of tires. IMO, motors are one of the lessor expenses of the cost of a year of racing.

My .02

Back