Bouncing bad

Racing on dirt and it’s a stalker. I’m gonna try going up on air pressure. I think that’s gonna be a big step in the right direction

right at the apex it would bounce.
Changed RF spindle angle and moved the RR out 1/4”
sitting the seat up 13 degrees to close to straight up to get less rear weight.
Well as far as handling goes outside of the bounce I have zero complaints. I can run the bottom or top

it’s bouncing up and down all 4 tires and the track was very smooth.

Whats your left side %. Too low of left side % means your overloading right sides, thus creating hop. Keep adding left till no more hop then tighten kart back up with tires.

Left side on big guys need to out of the box on some phantoms. What phantom is it. Or a simple fix is to go up in air all the way around , go crazy with it 2 lbs or more to see what happens.

Ceasar could be correct, it could be to high VCG, it could be with 4 lb split rights slip then grip, slip then grip thus the hop, or if you are running an 11 on RR only that could be causing it, first I would close split 2.5 lb see if it gets better or worse, if worse then open it up 2 more lb and see what happens.

After having time to sit and go through this I also think Cesar could be correct.

Here's the logic I think your now being presented with by many. Or it ain't and I just think it is and i'm wrong again ... :)

What your describing as the apex is where your doing the most turning. Sort of drive into one end of the corner, turn the thing and drive out with where the sharpest turning is done being called the apex.

I think(meaning i'm not sure) at the apex(sharpest part of the corner) your right side tires are loaded up gripping then release(hop) because they can't handle the load at the apex. Your weight because your big and the seat is up or it's just your weight is bearing down on the right side tires until they are overloaded and it hops.

What's being suggested is to get weight to the left and get you down so at that sharpest part of the corner more weight is driving straight out to the right reducing what is driving the weight down into the right side tires. When you get enough weight down and to the left instead of gripping and releasing your right side tires are just going to let loose and you'll probably over all slide out to the right instead of hopping.(you might even snap spin instead depending on how your right side tires are balancing the grip) Thinking more on it if your hop goes away you might end up loose, pushing or a 4 wheel drift. At that point it will be fix what ever new might crop up instead of fix the hop. Over all I think you'll end up faster because instead of over gripping and hopping your kart will be running the corner freer.(again maybe) The slide out to the right will be what is generally called a 4 wheel drift. Your problem will have gone from a hop or gripping and releasing to a 4 wheel drift outward. A 4 wheel drift occurs because the left side tires are over loaded, loose grip and then all the weight shoots outward to the right and the right side tires can not hold it in either, so 4 wheels slide out to the right. Angle the weight down at the right side tires instead and they handle the load until they give up releasing, then gripping again and you have your hop.

Lowering weight down and moving it left should get rid of the hop but lead to a possible 4 wheel drift. You then fix the drift hopefully by tightening it up with tires. And... I to need more understanding about what is meant at this point by tightening it up with tires.

Your fix is going to be finding the sweet spot between driving the right side tires down into the track causing the hop and pushing weight outward where the problem occurs. Tightening it up with tires(if i'm thinking correctly) is going to get you more grip to be able to handle weight which is now projecting more outward and less downward at the right side tires. ... heck maybe i'm just winging it maybe i'm seeing it right and maybe i'm not, just throwing thoughts at it. Oh yeah, Happy New Year

Last edited:
hopping is usually too much or too little wedge for the right side wheel positions. Too much wedge makes the RF hop, too little the RR. If your wedge numbers come up way off start there. Also, moving the offending wheel out can also help. I assume you don't run a head rest, those cause hopping too. Any of this is just a band aid for running that seat up so high.

Back