Box stock 196 question

Ljacobs

Mot ok r recently started smoking so I got parts to rebuild the motor. I thought I might beef it up some and went .010 over on the piston. My question is do I need to bore the block out or can I just hone the head?

measure your bore.... if you don’t have the proper tools take it to a local machine shop or atleast carb clean the ring off the top of the bore and throw some dial calipers on it.

you can use that .010 over piston but your going to need atleast .0025 piston to bore clearance so you will be somewhere in the .013 over bore to make it all work. That’s gonna be done with a boring tool not a hone.

A .0025 piston might work . If you have excess clearance now .
A ridged hone is needed to keep the bore straight .
A flex or ball hone is used to put a new cross hatch on the cylinder .
With no other info the std is your best choice .

Last edited:
Explanation - Overbore is diameter of piston , not piston height . And would have nothing to be done with the head .
If you are asking about how far your piston is coming out of the bore being +.010 , that is what some refer to as Pop up or Pop out .
If that is what your speaking of , thicker head gaskets are used .
I believe your question is about piston being over bore , or the diameter . Which as stated above , should be done with a boring machine to be more precise . It can be done with a certain type of hone , but not a ball hone , to be accurate . I have seen a ball hone used to do it , but it isn't very accurate .

Not to be rude, but judging by your total lack of experience, I'd hire someone to build your motor or you're asking for trouble. You do not "hone a head" you mill them and it has nothing to do with bore size.

These engines turn double and triple the intended RPM and require precision fit parts/tools and experience or you will end up with a pile of junk that will cost you even more to replace.

I had been thinking along the lines of GClary .
He may have been talking compression height .
As its listed as +.010 as well .
Everyone has too start rebuilding them some where , some time .
Picnic table or machine shop theres plenty to learn .

Back