Box Stock Predator

the valves will start to float around 4500 when start to go down hill. they are problems in the predator motors someone told me they are 7lb springs and junk at that.

Springs are anywhere from 18 lbs to 16 lbs using the clone checker. They average 17 plus but I have seen them at 18. You aren’t going to float the valves on a stocker with an rpm rule

IMG_4530.jpg

these dips are the valves floating ^^^^^^^
well before 4500. the weakest springs i have ever encountered on all 3 of my motors about as hard to push as a ball point pen . 17 to 18lbs really? not in any motor purchased in the last few years

no it surges like the governor. It's not a good thing for an engine to do. you will hear it when people are at the track reving their kart on a stand whaaaaaaaaaaaaa-gah the gah, when the engine stops climbing, is when the valve floats and the donk is when the piston hits the valve that's open at the wrong time

My bad. I should have explained better. When using the 10.8 and the 18 lb clone checker that is what I get. There was a controversy here in pa over replacing the springs with the 10/8 - 18 lb springs. I did testing on the springs that came in on 10 new engines and all were really close on the 18 lb check. So when I say 18 i
I mean by clone rules. We made the rules around the 18 lb test

Last edited:
At my local track we are allowed to remove the governor and also run the 10.8 springs. I have been running with the stock springs. How much of an improvement would I pick up by swapping the stock ones for the 10.8s?

At my local track we are allowed to remove the governor and also run the 10.8 springs. I have been running with the stock springs. How much of an improvement would I pick up by swapping the stock ones for the 10.8s?
with nothing else being done, I'm being told stick with the stock springs, stiffer will only hurt it's performance.

I wonder if I have mine adjusted on the stand to turn 5400 rpm and I have the gearing to where I am 4900 at the end of the straightaway will it float the valves on the track? Just wondering.

Back