Brake Assembly Mounting Location

Chuck D

Some chassis manufacturers mount the brake assembly on the left side of the kart and some on the right side of the kart.

I have a 2017 vintage chassis that has the rotor and caliper on the right hand side of the chassis.

What is the logic behind this and is their a "measurable" advantage of having the brake assembly on one side of the kart vs the other ?

Last edited:
Being that it is a solid axle and the braking force would be distributed evenly no matter what position it is in, I'd say its all preference.

It was said too help while trail braking. Eliminates wolf plate .
It has also been said mounting it on the left side behind the axle , would tend too lift that corner . Loosening it .
Vica versa mounting in front would add pressure there , tightening it .
I agree its not a big concern .

It was said too help while trail braking. Eliminates wolf plate .
It has also been said mounting it on the left side behind the axle , would tend too lift that corner . Loosening it .
Vica versa mounting in front would add pressure there , tightening it .
I agree its not a big concern .
Interesting points! I can certainly see how that would be somewhat valid and never thought of that!

I'd like to see someone with more smarts than mine explain how the break, whether in the front or in the rear of the axle, could possibly lift the tire.
I'm reminded of an old Bob Hope Roy Rogers movie. They're in a car running from the Indians across the salt flats. They lose the right rear tire. Roy goes back and Lasues the axle, lifts it off the ground, then tells Bob to hold the rope.

I'd like to see someone with more smarts than mine explain how the break, whether in the front or in the rear of the axle, could possibly lift the tire.
I'm reminded of an old Bob Hope Roy Rogers movie. They're in a car running from the Indians across the salt flats. They lose the right rear tire. Roy goes back and Lasues the axle, lifts it off the ground, then tells Bob to hold the rope.
Makes perfect sense to me😁 .
Torque would be my take , brake absobs power , force applied to chassis , chassis flexes.
I do know they mount mostly in front now .

Makes perfect sense to me😁 .
Torque would be my take , brake absobs power , force applied to chassis , chassis flexes.
I do know they mount mostly in front now .
I don't know about perfect!
I just remembered something. Several years ago I was looking at a kart manufacturers add. For the lower steering shaft mount they had a single tube welded to the front axle with a h[me fitting through which the steering shaft passed. I posted an opinion about the design and I received a host of contrary remarks. None flattering to say the least. Now I see the new kart has a conventional steering mount. I told him so. Years ago they banned me from making posts on their site. Sometimes criticism is hard to take.

Back